How to show something transforms as a covector?

• Thread starter Baggio
  • Start date
In summary, the transformation of (d/dx,d/dy,d/dz,d/dt) as a covector can be shown by using the chain rule for partial differentiation and changing coordinates according to the law of covariant transformation. This will result in a sum that is identical to the transformation law.
Baggio
Considering a boost in the x direction, how do you show that

(d/dx,d/dy,d/dz,d/dt)

transforms as a covector?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean partial derivs.
Use the calculus rule relating \partial_x' to \partial_x.

Baggio said:
Considering a boost in the x direction, how do you show that

(d/dx,d/dy,d/dz,d/dt)

transforms as a covector?

thanks
I don't see that this is a covariant vector. If it was the -gradient then I'd see that (you used total derivatives rather than partial derivative. I've never seen such an object). If it was then I'd use the chain rule for partial differentiation.

Pete

yes sorry they are partials... why is the chain rule used.. I don't see how that leads to the solution

thanks

Baggio said:
yes sorry they are partials... why is the chain rule used.. I don't see how that leads to the solution

thanks

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x'} = \frac{\partial x}{\partial x'}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial y}{\partial y'}\frac{\partial}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial z'}\frac{\partial}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial t}{\partial t'}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/tex]

Now change coordinates (x, y, z, t) - > (x1, x2, x3, x4)

Then the above sum can be written as a sum which is identical to the law of covariant transformation.

Pete

Last edited:

1. What is a covector?

A covector is a mathematical object that represents a linear functional on a vector space. In simpler terms, it is a function that maps a vector to a scalar value.

2. How do you show that something transforms as a covector?

To show that something transforms as a covector, you need to demonstrate that it satisfies the properties of linearity and homogeneity. This means that the function must be linear and its output must be proportional to its input.

3. What is the difference between a covector and a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents a quantity with both magnitude and direction, while a covector represents a linear functional. Vectors are denoted with arrows above the variable, while covectors are denoted with underlines.

4. How is the transformation of a covector represented?

The transformation of a covector is represented by a matrix. This matrix is known as the dual transformation matrix and is obtained by taking the transpose of the transformation matrix of the corresponding vector.

5. Why is it important to understand how to show something transforms as a covector?

Understanding how to show something transforms as a covector is crucial in many areas of mathematics and physics. It allows for the manipulation of mathematical objects that represent physical quantities, such as forces and displacement, and helps in solving complex equations and problems.