1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to show that light travels through space, but not time

1. Jun 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use relativistic equations and γ to demonstrate the following:
    b) Light travels through space but not in time

2. Relevant equations
    Lorentz factor γ = 1 / √(1 - [v/c]^2)

Time dilation t = γ t°

Length contraction L = γ L°

Mass relativity m = γ m°

E = m c^2

3. The attempt at a solution

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how to approach this. I don't quite understand the concept behind what the question is really asking for. Furthermore, I don't know how I can use these equations to prove that light does not travel through time.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2
    Consider a particle traveling at a uniform velocity relative to the observer. Compare a fixed time interval t0, perhaps 1 second, in that particle's reference frame to the corresponding time interval in the observer's reference frame. Ie., pretend the particle is carrying a clock that ticks once every second.
    How long does the observer have to wait to observe one tick if the particle travels at 0.9c ? At 0.95c? At 0.99c? 0.999c?
    Does this behavior continue if we make the fixed unit of time for a single tick smaller? What does this imply about theoretical particles carrying these same clocks that travel at c?
    With the formulas you have, you can only make a weak implication.

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3
    Thank you. I can't quite wrap my head around this, but I think I have a good enough idea to somehow explain this. I'll be sure to ask my teacher when I can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook