How to show that this is divergent?

• Thread starter stukbv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divergent
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the convergence or divergence of the infinite sum of (n+2)^(1/2)-n^(1/2). The questioner mentions trying the ratio test and finding nothing to compare it with. The concept of telescoping sums is brought up, and the use of the comparison test and regrouping a divergent series is also mentioned as possible approaches to solving the problem. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to multiply and divide to simplify the sum and use the comparison test.
stukbv

Homework Statement

Basically i have got the infinite sum of
(n+2)1/2-n1/2

and i think it is divergent ( I hope) but i have no idea how to show it, the ratio test is not helpful and i cannot find anything to compare it with.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like a telescoping sum, so you can try to sub in some numbers and see what cancels out and what does not until a final value N and then take the limit as N→∞.

Ok thanks but.. What is a telescoping sum?

stukbv said:
Ok thanks but.. What is a telescoping sum?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescoping_series"

It is essential using the fact that if you need to sum something, terms can cancel out to simplify the sum. The wiki article explains it better than I can with its example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! :)

Why can't you just use the test for divergence? Doesn't it go to infinity immediately?

flyingpig said:
Why can't you just use the test for divergence? Doesn't it go to infinity immediately?

No. sqrt(n+2)-sqrt(n) is positive and approaches zero. So the series is sum of positive terms that go to zero. Is the sum of (n+1/2^n)-n divergent? stukbv could also have multiplied by the conjugate in the numerator and denominator and used a comparison with a p-series to show it's divergent. It is a delicate point. Regrouping a divergent series can make it converge. 1-1+1-1+1-1+... diverges. (1-1)+(1-1)+(1-1)+... converges. You can't just split stuff and move it around like in a finite sum.

Last edited:
Multiply and divide by
[tex](n+2)^{\frac{1}{2}}+n^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

After simplification you will get,

[tex]\frac{2}{n^{\frac{1}{2}}[1+(1+\frac{2}{n})]}[/tex]

Now use the comparision test, by comparing with [tex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{\frac{1}{2}}}[/tex] which diverges by P-test.

If you want to use telescoping series, you'll find that the nth partial sum is -1+(n+1)^(1/2)+(n)^(1/2) which diverges to infty.

1. How does the divergence test work?

The divergence test is a method used to determine whether a series is convergent or divergent. It states that if the limit of the terms in the series does not approach zero as n approaches infinity, then the series diverges. In other words, if the terms of the series do not get smaller and smaller, the series will not converge.

2. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is one in which the sum of all the terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms approaches infinity. In contrast, a divergent series is one in which the sum of the terms either approaches infinity or does not approach any finite value. This means that a divergent series does not have a defined sum.

3. How do I determine if a series is divergent using the comparison test?

The comparison test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to a known convergent or divergent series. If the terms of the given series are smaller than the terms of the convergent series, then the given series is also convergent. If the terms of the given series are larger than the terms of the divergent series, then the given series is also divergent.

4. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. A series can only have one of these two properties. If a series is convergent, it means that the sum of the terms approaches a finite value. If a series is divergent, it means that the sum of the terms approaches infinity or does not approach any finite value. Therefore, a series cannot have both a finite and infinite sum.

5. How can I use the integral test to determine if a series is divergent?

The integral test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to an improper integral. If the integral of the series converges, then the series also converges. If the integral of the series diverges, then the series also diverges. However, it is important to note that the integral test can only be used for series with positive terms.