Proof: Divergence of 3/5^n + 2/n Sum

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of an infinite sum and the proof that it diverges. The participants mention decomposing a sum in partial sums, the behavior of the infinite sum of ## \frac {1}{n} ##, and a proof from a medieval mathematician. They also mention using a theorem to support their argument and suggest using the Integral Test from Calculus to prove the divergence of ## \frac {1}{n} ##.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Sum n varying = [1,2,...,infinite(
3/(5^n) + 2/n
Relevant Equations
3/(5^n) + 2/n
I know that it diverges, i don't know how to proof it:
We can decompose a sum in partial sums just if the two sums alone converges, so in this case we can not decompose in sum 3/5^n + sum 2/n, so how to proof that diverges just with the initial term?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take each term. If you have (something converges) + (something diverges), what do you have?

How does the infinite sum of ## \frac {1}{n} ## behave?
Do you know how to prove that?

Likes FactChecker
scottdave said:
Take each term. If you have (something converges) + (something diverges), what do you have?

How does the infinite sum of ## \frac {1}{n} ## behave?
Do you know how to prove that?
There is a proof from a mathematician of the middle ages, like
1/1
1/1 + 1/2 = 1 + 1/2
1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 > 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/4 > 1 + 1/2 + 1/2
I don't think that is a rigorous proof to the mathematic of our age, but is enough to the exercise.

About the first question, i think that no make sense the sum of a number with something that is not a number [like infinite], i would say that this sum just could diverge. I am sad because i don't know how to proof this, and since my intuition sometimes fool me, i am not certainly about my answer.

THere is some theorem that i can support my argument?

LCSphysicist said:
There is a proof from a mathematician of the middle ages, like
1/1
1/1 + 1/2 = 1 + 1/2
1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 > 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/4 > 1 + 1/2 + 1/2
I don't think that is a rigorous proof to the mathematic of our age, but is enough to the exercise.
It would be rigorous if you could show that the sum of the first n terms > the sum of the first n terms of 1 + 1/2 + 1/2 + … .
LCSphysicist said:
About the first question, i think that no make sense the sum of a number with something that is not a number [like infinite]
The name of this symbol, ##\infty##, is infinity. The series ##\sum_{i = 1}^\infty \frac 1 n## is an example of an infinite series. Infinity is a noun, and infinite is an adjective that is used to describe a noun.
LCSphysicist said:
, i would say that this sum just could diverge. I am sad because i don't know how to proof this, and since my intuition sometimes fool me, i am not certainly about my answer.

THere is some theorem that i can support my argument?

• Wow
Likes LCSphysicist
Mark44 said:
It would be rigorous if you could show that the sum of the first n terms > the sum of the first n terms of 1 + 1/2 + 1/2 + … .
The name of this symbol, ##\infty##, is infinity. The series ##\sum_{i = 1}^\infty \frac 1 n## is an example of an infinite series. Infinity is a noun, and infinite is an adjective that is used to describe a noun.

I didnt really know, thank you for the corrections.

Do you know Calculus? If so, you could use the Integral Test to test ## \frac {1}{n} ##

1. What is the meaning of "divergence" in this context?

Divergence refers to the behavior of a mathematical series as the terms get larger and larger. In this case, the series 3/5^n + 2/n does not approach a specific value as n increases, but instead becomes infinitely large.

2. How is the divergence of this series proven?

The divergence of this series can be proven using the Limit Comparison Test, which compares the given series to a known divergent series and shows that they have the same behavior.

3. What does the value of 3/5^n + 2/n approach as n gets larger?

As n approaches infinity, the value of 3/5^n + 2/n does not approach a specific value, but instead becomes infinitely large.

4. Can the divergence of this series be visually represented?

Yes, the divergence of this series can be represented graphically by plotting the terms of the series as n increases. As n gets larger, the terms will approach infinity, showing the divergence of the series.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the divergence of mathematical series?

Understanding the divergence of mathematical series is important in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can help predict the behavior of systems with infinite growth, such as population growth or the acceleration of objects. It is also used in financial modeling to analyze the behavior of investments with infinite returns.