How to slow down the charge & discharge process in RC battery

In summary, the conversation revolves around trying to slow down the charge and discharge current in an RC circuit. The person has tried putting a larger resistor and multiple capacitors in parallel, but it has not had much effect. They are using a Labjack U12 to display current in Labview. The solution suggested is to find a suitable value for RC by looking up "capacitor time constant." The person thanks "Dadface" for their input.

Homework Statement

I am trying hard to figure it out how to slow down the charge and discharge current in the RC circuit. If i put the big resistor, it takes long to charge but there is barely any current you can see and also when it discharges. What I am trying to do is, to slow down the charging time, so I can see voltage charge slow and also with nice charge of current. So far, I have tried to put lots of capaciter together in parellal, so it takes longer to charge but seems like it has very little effect. I am using labjack U12 to display current in labview. Please help me if you can

Physics news on Phys.org
From what you have done so far you have already solved the problem and you just need to tidy it up and finish it off.Look more carefully at what you have already discovered.
1.The bigger the resistance(R) the longer the time.
2.The bigger the capacitance(C)the longer the time.
It boils down to finding a suitable value for RC.Rather than trying it by trial and error try googling "capacitor time constant" and work it out.

Thanks Dadface for your kind input...
Ikaa

1. How can I extend the battery life of my RC car?

The best way to extend the battery life of your RC car is by slowing down the charge and discharge process. This can be achieved by using a lower charge and discharge rate, avoiding overcharging or overdischarging the battery, and using a balance charger to ensure each cell is charged equally.

2. Can using a higher capacity battery slow down the charge and discharge process?

Yes, using a higher capacity battery can slow down the charge and discharge process. This is because a higher capacity battery has more cells, which means that each cell has a lower charge and discharge rate. However, it is important to note that using a higher capacity battery will also increase the overall weight of the RC car, which may affect its performance.

3. How often should I charge my RC battery?

The frequency of charging your RC battery will depend on how often you use your RC car. If you use it frequently, it is recommended to charge the battery after each use. However, if you use it less often, you can charge the battery every few weeks to maintain its charge.

4. Can temperature affect the charge and discharge process of an RC battery?

Yes, temperature can have a significant impact on the charge and discharge process of an RC battery. Extreme temperatures, whether too hot or too cold, can decrease the battery's performance and lifespan. It is important to store and charge your RC battery at room temperature for optimal results.

5. Is there a way to slow down the charge and discharge process without affecting the performance of my RC car?

Yes, there are a few ways to slow down the charge and discharge process without affecting the performance of your RC car. These include using a lower charge and discharge rate, using a lower capacity battery, and using a balance charger. It is also important to regularly maintain and care for your RC battery to ensure its longevity and performance.

Suggested for: How to slow down the charge & discharge process in RC battery

Back