1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to slow down the charge & discharge process in RC battery

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying hard to figure it out how to slow down the charge and discharge current in the RC circuit. If i put the big resistor, it takes long to charge but there is barely any current you can see and also when it discharges. What I am trying to do is, to slow down the charging time, so I can see voltage charge slow and also with nice charge of current. So far, I have tried to put lots of capaciter together in parellal, so it takes longer to charge but seems like it has very little effect. I am using labjack U12 to display current in labview. Please help me if you can
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2009 #2
    From what you have done so far you have already solved the problem and you just need to tidy it up and finish it off.Look more carefully at what you have already discovered.
    1.The bigger the resistance(R) the longer the time.
    2.The bigger the capacitance(C)the longer the time.
    It boils down to finding a suitable value for RC.Rather than trying it by trial and error try googling "capacitor time constant" and work it out.

4. Apr 13, 2009 #3
    Thanks Dadface for your kind input.....
    Ikaa

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook