Time constant of a discharge RC circuit, capacity and charge

In summary, the conversation discusses using the discharge function to solve a problem involving two instants and their corresponding charges. The speakers suggest finding the time constant, capacity, and maximum charge, and discuss using a different equation to make the process easier. They also mention the importance of not dividing by zero when simplifying equations in a system.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A charged capacitor of potential ##V=20V## is connected to a resistance ##R=1k\Omega##.
While discharging, at time ##t_{1}=0.12s## the charge is ##q_{1}=40\mu C##, whilst at time ##t_{2}=0.20s## the charge is ##q_{2}=5.4\mu C##. Determine:
-the time constant of the circuit;
-the charge on the capacitor at instant ##t_{0}=0s##;
-the capacity of the capacitor.
Relevant Equations
##q=CV##
Discharge function: ##q(t)=q_{0}e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}}##
So, the only thing which came to my mind in order to solve this problem was actually to write down the equations using the discharge function, being given two instants and their corresponding charges... but doing so I'm unable to find anything.
Ideally, I'd say I should find the time constant ##\tau##, then the capacity, and lastly the maximum charge at the beginning of the process.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's actually easier to shift your zero of time to ##t' = t- 0.12s## and then write the discharge equation with initial charge ##q_1##, but to see this more clearly you can start by writing:$$\begin{align*}q_1 &= q_0 e^{-\frac{t_1}{\tau}} \\ q_2 &= q_0 e^{-\frac{t_2}{\tau}}\end{align*}$$What do you get if you divide these two?

etotheipi said:
It's actually easier to shift your zero of time to ##t' = t- 0.12s## and then write the discharge equation with initial charge ##q_1##, but to see this more clearly you can start by writing:$$\begin{align*}q_1 &= q_0 e^{-\frac{t_1}{\tau}} \\ q_2 &= q_0 e^{-\frac{t_2}{\tau}}\end{align*}$$What do you get if you divide these two?
What do you mean by "shifting my zero to ##t' = t- 0.12s##"? What's ##t##?
Actually, by equalling the ##q_{0}## from both expressions, I get to solve an exponential equation with just one unknown, which is ##\tau##... but that's a pretty tricky one!
There must be some easier way compared to solving an expo.

If you divide those two equations, you get$$q_2 = q_1 \text{exp}({-\frac{t_2 - t_1}{\tau}})$$You can solve that for ##\tau## by taking ##\ln(\cdot)## of both sides.

What I was saying about the shifting your origin of time was that, if you define ##t' = t - t_1##, then the capacitor has charge ##q_1## at ##t' = 0## and ##q_2## at ##t' = t_2 - t_1##. Then, you can just write down the equation above! But this isn't so important, so long as you can get the equation one way or another.

etotheipi said:
If you divide those two equations, you get$$q_2 = q_1 \text{exp}({-\frac{t_2 - t_1}{\tau}})$$You can solve that for ##\tau## by taking ##\ln(\cdot)## of both sides.

What I was saying about the shifting your origin of time was that, if you define ##t' = t - t_1##, then the capacitor has charge ##q_1## at ##t' = 0## and ##q_2## at ##t' = t_2 - t_1##. Then, you can just write down the equation above! But this isn't so important, so long as you can get the equation one way or another.
Yeah, that's right! Cool!
I'm feeling quite dumb asking you this question, but: in a system, am I always legitimized to divide the equations to obtain an equivalent one?

Likes etotheipi
greg_rack said:
Yeah, that's right! Cool!
I'm feeling quite dumb asking you this question, but: in a system, am I always legitimized to divide the equations to obtain an equivalent one?
Yes! - well with the usual stipulation that you're not dividing by zero. Say you have two equations,$$\begin{align*}
a&=b \\
c&=d
\end{align*}$$Divide the first equation by ##c##, with ##c\neq 0##, to get$$\frac{a}{c} = \frac{b}{c}$$
But ##c=d##, so$$\frac{a}{c} = \frac{b}{d}$$

Likes greg_rack
etotheipi said:
Yes! - well with the usual stipulation that you're not dividing by zero. Say you have two equations,$$\begin{align*}
a&=b \\
c&=d
\end{align*}$$Divide the first equation by ##c##, with ##c\neq 0##, to get$$\frac{a}{c} = \frac{b}{c}$$
But ##c=d##, so$$\frac{a}{c} = \frac{b}{d}$$
Thank you so much

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the time constant of a discharge RC circuit?

The time constant of a discharge RC circuit is the amount of time it takes for the voltage across the capacitor to decrease to 36.8% of its initial value. It is represented by the symbol τ and is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values of the circuit.

2. How does the capacitance affect the time constant of a discharge RC circuit?

The capacitance of a discharge RC circuit directly affects the time constant. A higher capacitance value will result in a longer time constant, meaning it will take longer for the voltage across the capacitor to decrease. Similarly, a lower capacitance value will result in a shorter time constant.

3. What is the relationship between the charge on a capacitor and the time constant of a discharge RC circuit?

The charge on a capacitor is directly proportional to the time constant of a discharge RC circuit. This means that as the charge on the capacitor increases, the time constant also increases. Similarly, as the charge decreases, the time constant decreases.

4. How does the resistance affect the time constant of a discharge RC circuit?

The resistance of a discharge RC circuit has an inverse relationship with the time constant. This means that as the resistance increases, the time constant decreases, and vice versa. This is because a higher resistance value will result in a slower discharge of the capacitor, leading to a longer time constant.

5. What is the significance of the time constant in a discharge RC circuit?

The time constant is an important factor in understanding the behavior of a discharge RC circuit. It helps determine the rate at which the voltage across the capacitor decreases and how much charge is stored in the capacitor. It is also used to calculate the time it takes for a circuit to reach steady-state conditions.