How to solve a system of linear inequalities with absolute magnitudes?

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on finding the most efficient algorithm for solving a set of linear inequalities involving absolute magnitudes. They have implemented a non-polynomial solution but are wondering if there is a more efficient way to solve the problem. They also have a harder question regarding determining the largest possible value of d for which a solution exists. They welcome any hints, references, ideas, and thoughts on the matter.
Assaf
Hi everybody,

I'd love to pick your brains about a problem in (seemingly?) linear algebra I've run into, trying to find the most efficient algorithm for solving a set of linear inequalities involving absolute magnitudes.

During my research I've run into a problem that involves solving a set of linear (usually
over-specified) system of equalities and inequalities. This set always assumes the following forms (let's call the unknowns x1,...,xN):

1. One linear equality of the form:
Ʃanxn = 0

2. A set of (usually n or more) absolute-value inequalities:
|Ʃbmnxn| > d, m=1,2,3..., M (usually M≥N)

where d is some number that I set. Furthermore, the variables need to obey the constraint:

3. |xn|<xmax
(xmax is positive, of course)

All coefficients and variables (an, bmn, xn) are real, although not necessarily positive.

My questions are two.

1. What is the most efficient way of solving such a system? Being fairly a novice in these matters, I've (naively?) implemented a mixed integer linear program (see, e.g., here), minimizing a constant function and subject to linear constraints, which runs fine and returns correct values: I can always substitute the answers into my system and see that they satisfy it, which they do. However, it's a non-polynomial solution and I was wondering if there is a more efficient way of doing so. It looks like a problem in computational geometry to me, since I'm trying to find a point on a hyperplane (defined by #1) "outside" a non-convex non-connected polyhedron defined by the inequalities (#2), but I've never taken any course in the subject and can't really tell.

2. A somewhat harder question, which I don't know how to answer: is there an efficient (polynomial) algorithm for determining what is the largest possible value of d for which there exists a solution to the above problem? I could run some sort of binary search on d, but that seems like overkill to me.

Any hints, references, ideas and general thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the case where d is always positive, convert |Ʃbmnxn| > d, (m=1,2,3..., M) into linear equalities by adding a positive dummy variable Em which is subject to Em>0.

My recollection is that this is now in a standard form subject to positivity constraints. The theorem and associated geometric interpretation used to prove the solution routine may be of aid.

FAQ: How to solve a system of linear inequalities with absolute magnitudes?

1. How do I identify the variables in a system of linear inequalities with absolute magnitudes?

The variables in a system of linear inequalities with absolute magnitudes will be represented by letters, such as "x" and "y". These variables are used to represent unknown quantities in the system.

2. What is the difference between a linear inequality and a linear equation?

A linear inequality uses inequality symbols, such as <, >, ≤, or ≥, while a linear equation uses an equal sign (=). In other words, a linear inequality represents a range of values, whereas a linear equation represents a specific value.

3. How do I graph a system of linear inequalities with absolute magnitudes?

To graph a system of linear inequalities with absolute magnitudes, first graph each individual inequality as if it were a linear equation. Then, identify the overlapping region of all the graphs. This overlapping region represents the solution set for the system of inequalities.

4. Can a system of linear inequalities with absolute magnitudes have more than two variables?

Yes, a system of linear inequalities with absolute magnitudes can have more than two variables. In such cases, each additional variable will be represented by a different letter, and the solution set will be represented in a higher-dimensional space.

5. What is the purpose of using absolute magnitudes in a system of linear inequalities?

Absolute magnitudes are used in a system of linear inequalities to ensure that the solutions are positive. This is especially useful in real-world applications, where negative solutions may not make sense. Absolute magnitudes also help to simplify the inequalities and make them easier to solve.