How to Solve Acceleration of Cart on 3 Different Slopes?

In summary, this person is trying to solve accelerations of a cart on these different slopes and does not understand how it is possible without knowing the coefficient of friction. Can anyone help them understand this? Thanks.
LilRubyKinz
Homework Statement
Lab Report - Perform experiment to find acceleration of a cart on three different types of slopes: Flat, Inclining, and Declining.
Relevant Equations
Type 1(Flat): a = m2g - (coefficient of friction)m1g / m1 + m2
Type 2(Inclining): a = T - (coefficient of friction) m1g(cos(theta)) - m1gsin(theta) / m1
Type 3(Declining): a = mg(sin(theta)) - (coefficient of friction)mg(cos(theta)) / m
I am trying to solve accelerations of a cart on these different slopes. I don't understand how it is possible without knowing the coefficient of friction, but my teacher says it is (very cryptically I might add). Can anyone help me understand this? Thanks.
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 9.08.41 PM.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. Can you post some pictues or more information on the test setup? It's hard to help if we have to guess at your setup and what your data mean. Thanks.

You can add pictures to a post / reply using the "attach a file" button. :smile:

Thanks!

Yes, the experiment consists of a cart on a wooden ramp. The cart is attached to a ticker tape, which runs through the machine to get the period. The other end of the cart is attached to a string, which goes over a pulley and has a 100g weight hanging down. The cart is also 100g.

The first test is with the ramp laying flat. The second, the cart is going up the slope, with the third going down the slope.

With the measurements of the length of the base of the ramp and the height of the ramp's incline, we can get the angle.

Now, I have been trying to figure out how to solve acceleration without having the coefficient of friction. This is my hypothesis:

The coefficient of friction is a control between all experiments. Therefore, I can use the tan function of the right angle triangle to get the coefficient of friction. Is this true or am I completely wrong?

75C5B268-A8F0-4A5C-8C03-F365F83425C9.jpeg
CDED22BB-EA79-4550-8A70-484F163920A6.jpeg
CAC41D9F-815D-4D19-9B58-F6DB76F4BB5A.jpeg

Those are some quick sketches to show how it is laid out.

LilRubyKinz said:
trying to solve accelerations
That, and your later comments, suggest you are trying to calculate what the acceleration should be in theory, whereas the measurements taken and your teacher's comments suggest you are only required to calculate what the three accelerations actually are. For the latter, you do not need to know the masses or the slope angle, or even the value of g. It's just a matter of assuming each acceleration is constant and calculating its value from the distance and time measurements.

You only give the whole times and distance. The mention of tickertape suggests you may have intermediate time and distance data too - do you?

Likes LilRubyKinz
Okay, so what you're saying is that I can calculate the acceleration using the following instead of the circumstantial formulas he gave us?

Or should I use this to get acceleration, plug it into those formulas and find the coefficient of friction, then use that to solve the other accelerations?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 4.56.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 4.56.52 PM.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 201
Okay, scratch that. This is what I'm doing now for each one using the results from the ticker tape. Does this format look correct?

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 6.06.25 PM.png

The only thing is that my teacher says we will need to use trig ratios, which I haven't. Where am I supposed to use them?

I'm really in need of help with this ASAP.

Another person suggested I make v a constant, measure tension with a Newton meter and solve for the coefficient... but I don't know how to do that? And where does period come into play?

LilRubyKinz said:
Okay, scratch that. This is what I'm doing now for each one using the results from the ticker tape. Does this format look correct?
The only thing is that my teacher says we will need to use trig ratios, which I haven't. Where am I supposed to use them?
are you saying it covered 140 dots in 2.5s? That gives an average speed of 56/s. But for acceleration you need the speed it reached in the 2.5s. Assume constant acceleration.

However, your trig ratios hint says you are expected to be applying some kinetic theory.
Your first and third relevant equations are correct except that you have omitted parentheses in the numerators and denominators of the divisions.
Your second equation is not useful in itself because you still have the unknown T in there. You need another equation involving T for the acceleration of the suspended mass. You can then combine these to eliminate T.

When you have done that you will have three equations in which the only unknowns are the three accelerations and coefficient of friction. So, yes, that is one too many unknowns to solve for. But then you can bring in the measured accelerations and instead have three equations with only one unknown. This means you will get three slightly different values for the coefficient.
What your teacher intends is not clear to me. I suspect she provided more guidance but you did not understand it. In the absence of clarification, I suggest you calculate the coefficient these three ways and compare the results.

1. What is acceleration and how does it relate to cart motion on slopes?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. For a cart on a slope, the acceleration is affected by the slope's angle and the force of gravity acting on the cart.

2. How does the slope angle affect the acceleration of a cart?

The slope angle affects the acceleration of a cart because it determines the component of the force of gravity acting on the cart parallel to the slope. The steeper the slope, the greater the component of gravity and therefore the greater the acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of the cart and its acceleration on a slope?

The mass of the cart does not directly affect its acceleration on a slope. According to Newton's Second Law, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a lighter cart may accelerate faster than a heavier cart if the force acting on them is the same.

4. How does friction impact the acceleration of a cart on a slope?

Friction acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the cart, so it will decrease the acceleration of the cart on a slope. The amount of friction depends on the surface of the slope and the weight of the cart. A rougher surface and heavier cart will experience more friction and have a slower acceleration.

5. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a cart on a slope?

The formula for calculating acceleration on a slope is a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the slope. This formula assumes that there is no friction present. If friction is present, the formula becomes a = g(sinθ - μcosθ), where μ is the coefficient of friction.