How to solve complex number equations with a calculator?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system of equations involving complex numbers, specifically using the equations (1+i)x+ (2+i)y -5 = 0 and (3+2i)x + (4+i) -10 = 0. The conversation also mentions using calculators, but concludes that the system can be solved by hand by equating real and imaginary parts.
ferroburak
Let x,y be in the complex plane

Say,
(1+i)x+ (2+i)y -5 = 0
(3+2i)x + (4+i) -10 = 0

I couldn't solve such a system of equations with neither of casio fx-9750g, hp 50g and TI-89..

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Put your calculators away. This is a fairly simple system of equations to solve by hand. One approach is to solve for x in one equation, and substitute the expression that x equals into the other equation.

i wouldn't use a calculator either. I would equate real and imaginary parts (remembering that eg 5 = 5+0i. so you should get a system of 4 equations to solve. 2 of which involve only the imaginary parts and the other two involves only the real

1. How do I enter complex numbers into a calculator?

Most calculators have a designated button for entering complex numbers, often labeled as i or √-1. If your calculator does not have this button, you can enter a complex number in the form a+bi, where a is the real part and b is the imaginary part.

2. What is the correct order of operations for solving complex number equations with a calculator?

The order of operations for complex numbers is the same as for real numbers. Start by simplifying parentheses, then solve exponents, multiply and divide from left to right, and finally add and subtract from left to right.

3. Can I solve complex number equations with a scientific calculator?

Yes, most scientific calculators have the capability to perform complex number calculations. However, make sure to check the user manual to ensure your specific calculator has this feature and how to use it.

4. How do I convert a complex number in polar form to rectangular form on a calculator?

To convert a complex number from polar form, r∠θ, to rectangular form, a+bi, use the following formulas: a = r cosθ and b = r sinθ. Some calculators may also have a POL or REC button to switch between the two forms.

5. Is it possible to graph complex number equations on a calculator?

Yes, many graphing calculators have the ability to graph complex number equations. You can usually do this by entering the equation in the Y= menu and making sure to use the i or √-1 button for the imaginary part. You can then graph the equation on the complex plane.