Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve every physics problem ever and understand the universe

1. May 26, 2008 #1
    so... i was thinking and please dont take me seriously lol cuz its just a fun idea. why dont we geneticaly modify someone to have a realy realy large brain resulting in them haveing an iQ of like 1000 then just get them to solve all of the world problems? they can put an end to this "theory of everything" business lol

as i said... please please dont take me seriously lol just a fun idea i guess :rolleyes::wink:

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2008 #2
    If I found out how to modify someone to get smarter, I'd be the first one to get it done. :D

Basically, we don't know enough about the brain to know how to make it work better. =/

4. May 26, 2008 #3
    I know one way to modify my brain and I am drinking one right now. :tongue:

5. May 26, 2008 #4
    The genetically modified genius would end up going to the highest bidder. It undoubtedly would be used to figure out how to raise the price of gasoline.............wait a minute some idiot already did that.:biggrin:

6. May 27, 2008 #5
    lol well i was thinking that see... brain cells stop growing when a person is still younge and slow down quite a bit b4 that. what if we found the gene that tells the brain to stop growing and modify it to kick in latter in the subject's life? taht might work? lol if the person's skull was big enough i guess

7. May 27, 2008 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What makes you think a bigger brain or even a higher IQ would somehow equate to them acheiving anything? This appears to be an all too common misconception. Some of the people with the highest IQ's are bums.

8. May 27, 2008 #7
    A bigger brain doesn't amount to higher intelligence. I once read a study which showed through simulations that a larger brain would be a more inefficient one (neurons having to fire longer distances et cetera), and that our brains were at a fairly optimal size-level (if I have the time later I'll find the study).

And truthfully we know so little about the brain it's scary. I say the best way to raise a genius is to do environmental fertilizing. Raise him with an insanely intense and rigorous educational system (the best private teachers for every subject, so on), perfect nutrition, idols to look up to, et cetera. Just my opinion, but I believe the right education and 10x the ambition and curiosity is what makes true genius - not an IQ score.

9. May 27, 2008 #8
    Even a high IQ individual may not be able to solve our problems. So much more is involved in discovery... especially an element of luck. I don't think the human mind will ever truly grasp reality.

10. May 30, 2008 #9
    einsteins brain was found to be 15% larger in certain areas than the average person

11. May 30, 2008 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Einstein's brain

Size doesn't matter

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/ein.html

12. May 31, 2008 #11

what does an autistic persons brain do?

13. May 31, 2008 #12
    You know, having a beer or two seriously makes me better at physics. Back in undergrad, a bunch of us went to the bar the night before the quantum mechanics exam. We all aced the test. I tried repeating the experiment in grad school. We went to the bar before the quantum exam. Same result. So there you go, empirical data that you can drink you way to better grades.

Disclaimer: I said a beer or two. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work if you get trashed.

14. May 31, 2008 #13
    How bush perceives himself:

[​IMG]

How some others perceive him:

[​IMG]

15. May 31, 2008 #14
    actualy i heard a funy story like this once. my brother told me that he knew some kid in year one uni taht got addicted to crystal meth but all he would do when he was on it was hyper focus on school work. he finished all his work for first year in like under three months lol. just thought it was a funny / appropriate story... dont do crystal meth becasue i dont realy think it helps most people thou lol

16. May 31, 2008 #15
    Assumption:
    All physics and other problems are solved. :smile:

Results:
    - There can be lots of unemployment
    - If there's nothing left to solve, everything would too boring.

17. May 31, 2008 #16
    no, no , NO :grumpy:

after the problems are solved, there would be 10 to the nth jobs working with the solutions and applications OF the solved problems--

---just look at what happened when they 'solved' the problems on making duct tape!!

18. May 31, 2008 #17

dst

Sorry but duct tape existence and stickiness is actually an axiom in every reliable physics theory.

19. May 31, 2008 #18
    But all problems are solved.
    So
    - There is no disease
    - There are no food problems

And, don't people work just to solve problems? :smile:

e.g. There is demand for cars, so that needs to be solved. So, GM hires people and make those cars to solve this particular problem.

and,
    putting theory into application is also a problem (?)

20. May 31, 2008 #19
    OK--let's all just party, ****, do art, and make music --like the Eloi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Machine

21. Jun 16, 2008 #20
    Einstein did not solve anything.
    He propounded a theory [or two] that is still at the "Jury is Out" stage .
    In 2015 it will be 100 years since he put forward his General Theory of Relativity.
    Despite the "majority" of scientists and mathematicians and philosophers saying that Einsteins theories are "the best show in town". Citing experiments or analysis "supporting" or "confirming" his work; the minority still persist who claim his work was flawed and propound other theories.
    The only problem is you will have had to spend five or more years in university gaining a doctorate in both Maths AND Physics to be anywhere near able to understand any strain of String Theory, Wave Theory, or any other Theory.
    The important thing for Joe Average (like me) to understand , is, they are just theories. Attempts to explain how the world works and how the cosmos came into being and continues to be.
    ALL of them are flawed and cannot FULLY explain everything.
    They can put things in formulae which encapsulate VARIETIES of possibilities, that only doctorate maths professors can interpret, but none of them can put into everyday plain workaday language what all this stuff is and where it came from and how it will [possibly] end.
    Aelbar

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?