totentanz
- 42
- 0
Can anyone help me solving x2+1/x4+1...thanks
Caramon said:Did you use partial fractions to get that result? I think he may be referring to the integral of ((x^2 + 1)/(x^4 + 1))dx
Caramon said:Did you use partial fractions to get that result? I think he may be referring to:
[tex] \int{\frac{{x^2}+1}{{x^4}+1}dx}[/tex]
ThomasEgense said:This is the solution, however getting there is not clear :)
http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=(x*x+1)/(x*x*x*x+1)&
HallsofIvy said:[itex]x^4+ 1= 0[/itex] has no real roots but we can write [itex]x^4= -1[/itex] so that [itex]x^2= \pm i[/itex] and then get [itex]x= \sqrt{2}{2}(1+ i)[/itex], [itex]x= \sqrt{2}{2}(1- i)[/itex], [itex]x= \sqrt{2}{2}(-1+ i)[/itex], and [itex]x= \sqrt{2}{2}(-1- i)[/itex] as the four roots. We can pair those by cojugates:
[tex]\left(x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(1+ i)\right)\left(x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(1- i)\right)[/tex][tex]= \left((x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})- i\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\right)\left((x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})+ i\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\right)[/tex][tex]= (x- \sqrt{2}{2})^2+ \frac{1}{2}= x^2- \sqrt{2}x+ 1[/tex]
and
[tex]\left(x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(-1+ i)\right)\left(x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(-1- i)\right)[/tex][tex]= x^2+ \sqrt{2}x+ 1[/tex]
That is, the denominator [itex]x^4+ 1[/itex] factors as
[tex](x^2+ \sqrt{2}x+ 1)(x^2- \sqrt{2}x+ 1)[/tex]
and you can use partial fractions with those.
dextercioby said:Back in my high school days I knew tricks for these. For an anti-derivative sought in a subset of R excluding 0, we can make the following tricks:
[tex]\int \frac{x^2 +1}{x^4 +1} \, dx = \int \frac{1+\frac{1}{x^2}}{x^2 + \frac{1}{x^2}} \, dx = \int \frac{d\left(x-\frac{1}{x}\right)}{\left(x-\frac{1}{x}\right)^2 + \left(\sqrt{2}\right)^2} = ...[/tex]
HallsofIvy said:You have been given a number of different suggestions (dextercioby's making the problem almost trivial) but keep saying you cannot do it- and showing no work at all. Have you tried what dextercioby suggested? What did you do and where did you run into trouble.
totentanz said:I am working on solving it all week,and I can not find a complete answer except what Mr.dextercioby show...and I already solve this "normalization of the wavefunction",thank you for your care