How can I solve the integral of 1/(1+x^4) from 0 to ∞?

  • Thread starter Thread starter vokurka
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dx Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
vokurka
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
∫1/(1+x^4) dx, from 0 to ∞


I have tried integration per partes, several different substitutions and transformation into different coordinate system but i have always only found another equivalent integral that i was not able to solve... I have also performed a numerical integration, but i need an analytical solution...
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to work out the indefinite integral with one substitution. By the way, what is the derivative of the arc tangent?
 
vokurka said:
∫1/(1+x^4) dx, from 0 to ∞


I have tried integration per partes, several different substitutions and transformation into different coordinate system but i have always only found another equivalent integral that i was not able to solve... I have also performed a numerical integration, but i need an analytical solution...
Thanks

Partial fractions.
 
vokurka said:
∫1/(1+x^4) dx, from 0 to ∞ I have tried integration per partes, several different substitutions and transformation into different coordinate system but i have always only found another equivalent integral that i was not able to solve... I have also performed a numerical integration, but i need an analytical solution...
Thanks

Hint: ##x^4 + 1 = (x^2+1)^2 - (\sqrt{2}x)^2##. Rearrange, factorise.

Then use what Ray suggested.
 
Try substituting ##\sqrt{u}=x##.

Edit: Sorry, this doesn't actually work. Disregard!
 
Last edited:
You have a definite integral. I'd suggest using contour integration and the residue theorem if you know that technique.