How to Solve the Tough Gaussian Integral with a Constant in the Exponential?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
jaydnul
Messages
558
Reaction score
15

Homework Statement


I'm trying to solve the Gaussian integral:
[tex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}xe^{-λ(x-a)^2}dx[/tex]
and
[tex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}x^2e^{-λ(x-a)^2}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations


I can't find anything online that gives the Gaussian integral of x times the exponential of -λ(x+(some constant))squared. I was hoping someone here would know. It is the (-a) in the exponential that is throwing me off.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jd0g33 said:

Homework Statement


I'm trying to solve the Gaussian integral:

[itex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}xe^{-λ(x-a)^2}dx[/itex]

and

[itex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}x^2e^{-λ(x-a)^2}dx[/itex]


Homework Equations


I can't find anything online that gives the Gaussian integral of x times the exponential of -λ(x+(some constant))squared. I was hoping someone here would know. It is the (-a) in the exponential that is throwing me off.

Thanks!

Well, let's start with something simpler. Do you know how to do the integrals from mini infinity to plus infinity of ## e^{-x^2}, xe^{-x^2}, x^2 e^{-x^2}##? That's the first step. If you know how to do these, it will be easy to show how to the ones you are asking about.
 
Ya I "know" how do them. It's a QM problem, not a mathematical one, so it is having me look up the integrals. So respectively, the solutions are [itex]\int_{0}^{∞}x^{2n}e^{\frac{-x^2}{a^2}}dx=\sqrt{π}\frac{(2n)!}{n!}(\frac{a}{2})^{2n+1}[/itex]

In the original problem, when you expand the squared term, you end up with an x and x squared term which is confusing me.
 
Jd0g33 said:
Ya I "know" how do them. It's a QM problem, not a mathematical one, so it is having me look up the integrals. So respectively, the solutions are [itex]\int_{0}^{∞}x^{2n}e^{\frac{-x^2}{a^2}}dx=\sqrt{π}\frac{(2n)!}{n!}(\frac{a}{2})^{2n+1}[/itex]

In the original problem, when you expand the squared term, you end up with an x and x squared term which is confusing me.
Then do a change of variable to avoid having an x term in the exponent, as Orodruin suggested.
 
Ahh I see. Just to be clear, the correct substitution would be u=x-a, du=dx cause then x=u+a and you end up with:
[tex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}ue^{-λ(u)^2}+ae^{-λ(u)^2}du[/tex]

Right? Sorry, running on fumes today :)
 
Jd0g33 said:
Ahh I see. Just to be clear, the correct substitution would be u=x-a, du=dx cause then x=u+a and you end up with:
[tex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}ue^{-λ(u)^2}+ae^{-λ(u)^2}du[/tex]

Right? Sorry, running on fumes today :)

That's it! And the same trick will work for the second integral (if you know the integral of ## x e^{-x^2} ## which is trivial, using symmetry.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Add a few parentheses so that the expression makes sense, but otherwise yes.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Ha! I feel like an idiot.

Thanks a bunch nrqed and Orodruin!
 
Jd0g33 said:
Ha! I feel like an idiot.

Don't! I have seen much worse examples among university students ... :rolleyes: