1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian integration in infinitesimal limit

1. Sep 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the wave function of a particle [itex] \Psi(x,0) = \left(\frac{2b}{\pi}\right)^{1/4}e^{-bx^2} [/itex], what is the probability of finding the particle between 0 and [itex] \Delta x [/itex], where [itex] \Delta x [/itex] can be assumed to be infinitesimal.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I proceed as I normally would when trying to obtain the probability of finding a particle within a certain interval, by calculating the integral ##\int_a^b |\Psi(x,0)|^2 dx##, where the limits here are ##a=0## and ##b=\Delta x##. I am stuck in trying to calculate the Gaussian with these limits. I know the answer in the infinite limit, but for abritrary limits one usually has to deal with error functions. What is the trick here with setting the upper limit to some assumed infinitesimal number? Would appreciate a hint!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2016 #2
    I think you just have to expand the wave function to first order in ##\Delta x## and then $$P(\Delta x)=|\Psi(\Delta x)|^2 \Delta x$$
    Imagine the area under an infinitesimal interval, in this limit you can substitute multiplication for the integral. I am not entirely sure though.
    See the post after this one.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  4. Sep 4, 2016 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You worded that backwards. You can substitute multiplication for the integral:
    $$\int_x^{x+dx} f(t)\,dt = f(x)\,dx$$

5. Sep 4, 2016 #4
    Cheers vela. Will edit it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted