How to study for phsics SAT sbject test?

In summary, the person is taking the physics SAT subject test and is wondering if anyone could give them a tip on how to be good at the test. They also mention that they have bought the Barrons prep book and are unsure if they can finish it in time.
jjuugg
Hello, I have taken honors physics, and this coming november...

I'm taking physics SAT subject test. (I'm a high school senior right now

and that would be my last shot) I'm just wondering if anybody could give me

a tip to be good at physics, or how to do good on physics subject test.

I bought the BARRONS prep book, But I'm not sure if I could finish it before I take the test.

TT

Pleas help me!><

Thank you for reading my question!><

Physics news on Phys.org
In England we have various exam boards administering the tests...

When I was your age, i'd check the exam board's website and print out the syllabus: that is, everything they could conceivably test us on.

My advice, if your system is at all similar, would be to try to acquire some syllabus list or something and make sure you remember all those facts that they expect you to! Yes, it's important to do some practice questions since that's the only real way to learn and so I'm sure there Barrons will be useful. But, that said, a good deal of school testing amounts to being able to remember things (unfortunately) and so, if that's the way to pass exams, find out what they want you to have covered and remember it.

An example of what I mean can be found here:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as_alevelgce/physics_a/
I doubt it'll be relevant to you but serves to illustrate the sort of resource I found useful.

As far as I'm aware, there's little mathematics involved, just simple trigonometry and what-not so make sure you know your SOH-CAH-TOAs and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
p.s. Do as much of Barrons as you can!

(If Barrons is similar to the actual paper you'll get a good idea of what things they'll test you on (which if you have forgotten/don't know you can look up) and get some good practice of the types of questions you'll likely encounter)

Sparknotes put out a book covering it. I got a 770 my first try from around 2 days of cramming. I had taken honors physics 3 years prior, so I was pretty familiar with a lot of the non-E/M stuff though.

1. How should I approach studying for the physics SAT subject test?

The best way to study for the physics SAT subject test is to start by reviewing the content covered on the test, such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics. Then, practice with sample questions and take practice tests to become familiar with the format and types of questions that may appear on the test. Make sure to also review any difficult concepts and formulas that you struggle with.

2. How long should I study for the physics SAT subject test?

The amount of time needed to study for the physics SAT subject test varies for each individual. It is recommended to start studying at least 2-3 months before the test date and to study for a few hours each day. This will give you enough time to thoroughly review the content and practice enough questions to feel confident on test day.

3. Are there any specific resources or study materials that are helpful for the physics SAT subject test?

There are many resources available to help you study for the physics SAT subject test, such as review books, online practice tests, and study guides. It is important to use reputable and updated materials to ensure you are studying the correct and relevant content. You can also consider seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group to supplement your studying.

4. Do I need to memorize a lot of formulas for the physics SAT subject test?

While there are some formulas that you will need to know for the physics SAT subject test, it is more important to understand the concepts behind them. Make sure to review and practice using the formulas in different contexts so that you can easily apply them on the test. It is also helpful to make a formula sheet or flashcards to refer to during your studying.

5. How can I improve my score on the physics SAT subject test?

One of the best ways to improve your score on the physics SAT subject test is to practice, practice, practice. Take as many practice tests as you can and review your mistakes to identify areas where you need to improve. You can also focus on studying and understanding the content covered on the test, rather than just memorizing information. Additionally, make sure to get enough rest and eat well before the test to ensure you are in the best state of mind on test day.