How to Self-Study Basic High School Mathematics - Comments

In summary, Micromass recommends online resources such as Khan Academy and MathIsPower4u.com for self-studying basic high school mathematics. They also suggest the book "Fundamentals of Freshman Mathematics" by Allendoerfer/Oakley for a clear and comprehensive understanding of high school math. They also mention the importance of studying Combinatorics, Probability, and Descriptive Statistics, and recommend problem books like Titu Andreescu problem books and Schaum's Outlines: Intermediate Algebra for practice.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
micromass submitted a new PF Insights post

How to Self-Study Basic High School Mathematics

studymath-2-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Micro. Perhaps you could mention online resources as well like Khan's Academy and MathIsPower4u.com

jedishrfu said:
Thanks Micro. Perhaps you could mention online resources as well like Khan's Academy and MathIsPower4u.com
Doing an review Insight on the best online resources would be great too!

I also recommend the book called "Fundamentals of Freshman Mathematics" by Allendoerfer/Oakley. The book is more or less on the level of Lang's Basic Mathematics, but has a clearer exposition than Lang in my opinion. After reading that book, I do not recall a need for extra books on the high-school mathematics.

Quite valuable info. Really helpful!

Great, exactly what i was looking for!

Maybe you should also add a section on Combinatorics, Probability and Descriptive statistics

and for problem books there is the Titu Andreescu problem books and Schaum's Outlines: Intermediate Algebra

Last edited:

1. What materials do I need to self-study basic high school mathematics?

To successfully self-study basic high school mathematics, you will need a textbook, practice problems or worksheets, a notebook or journal, and a calculator. You may also want to use online resources or educational apps for additional practice and reference.

2. How much time should I dedicate to self-studying mathematics?

The amount of time you should dedicate to self-studying mathematics will vary based on your individual learning style and goals. It is generally recommended to set aside at least 1-2 hours per day for consistent practice and review.

3. How can I stay motivated while self-studying mathematics?

Staying motivated while self-studying mathematics can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Setting achievable goals, breaking up study sessions into smaller chunks, and finding a study partner or joining a study group can all help keep you motivated and on track.

4. Is self-studying mathematics as effective as taking a traditional class?

While self-studying mathematics may not provide the same level of structure and guidance as a traditional class, it can be just as effective if you are dedicated and disciplined in your approach. It is important to set clear goals, seek out resources and support when needed, and regularly assess your understanding and progress.

5. Can I self-study math if I have struggled with it in the past?

Yes, you can still self-study math if you have struggled with it in the past. It may take more time and effort, but with a positive attitude and determination, anyone can improve their math skills. It may also be helpful to identify and address any specific areas of difficulty and seek out additional resources or support.