How to Tackle the Momentum of Electromagnetic Fields Problem?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
golfingboy07
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I am having a little trouble with this. To attack this problem (I reckon anyway) is to recognise that the current density vector J(x) can be written it terms of the number density and the velocity. But I'm not sure how to incorporate the Taylor expansion with the cross product. If somebody could give me a few hints just to get me started again that would be great!

Cheers

GM
 
Attachments
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to:
1. Expand J in a 3D Taylor expansion.
2. Integrate by parts to get from phi to E.
3. Go from \int xj to m by writing xj as a sum of sym and asym parts.
This is easiest using dyadics.