How to tell that 1/(z+2i) is not analytic?

• Thread starter nutcase21
  • Start date
In summary, The speaker is asking for help in determining whether the expression 1/(z+2i) is analytic or not in the circle |z-2|=4, clockwise. They mention that the point -2i is within the circle and question how to tell if the function f(x) exists at that point. They suggest considering properties of divergence and analytic functions such as limits and continuity.
nutcase21
hi as shown above, i have come across this expression. But i am not sure how to tell if it is not analytic in the circle |z-2|=4, clockwise.
expression: 1/(z+2i)

On top of that, can anyone give me a general idea of how to see if the expression is analytic or not analytic without using the cauchy's equation.

pls help. thx.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, that circle contains the point -2i at which f(x) does not even exist.

but how do u tell that f(x) does not exist there?

does it mean the function will be come infinite when z=-2i and thus telling us it is not analytic at that point?

Last edited:
nutcase21 said:
but how do u tell that f(x) does not exist there?

does it mean the function will be come infinite when z=-2i and thus telling us it is not analytic at that point?

Consider the properties of divergence and also other analytic properties like limits: the limit must be the same from both sides and continuity must hold (among the other properties of analytic functions).

To determine if 1/(z+2i) is analytic, we can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These equations state that a complex function is analytic if and only if it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for a function to be complex differentiable at a point. In other words, if the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts of the function exist and are continuous, and satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, then the function is analytic.

In this case, the function 1/(z+2i) can be written as f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where u(x,y) = 1/(x^2+(y+2)^2) and v(x,y) = 1/(x^2+(y+2)^2). By taking the partial derivatives of u and v with respect to x and y, we can see that u_x = -2x/(x^2+(y+2)^2)^2, u_y = -2(y+2)/(x^2+(y+2)^2)^2, v_x = 2x/(x^2+(y+2)^2)^2, and v_y = 2(y+2)/(x^2+(y+2)^2)^2.

Now, we can plug these into the Cauchy-Riemann equations: u_x = v_y and u_y = -v_x. However, when we try to solve for x and y, we end up with a contradiction. This means that the Cauchy-Riemann equations are not satisfied, and therefore the function 1/(z+2i) is not analytic.

To determine if a function is analytic without using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, we can also use the definition of analyticity. A complex function f(z) is analytic at a point z0 if and only if it has a power series representation in a neighborhood of z0. In other words, if we can write f(z) = ∑(n=0 to ∞) c_n(z-z0)^n, where c_n are complex constants, then the function is analytic at z0.

In this case, the function 1/(z+2i) does not have a power series representation in a neighborhood of z0 = -2i. Therefore, it is

1. What is the definition of analytic function?

An analytic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point in its domain. This means that the function has a well-defined derivative at every point, and thus can be approximated by a power series in the neighborhood of each point.

2. How do you determine if a function is analytic?

To determine if a function is analytic, we need to check if it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These equations relate the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts of the function, and if they are satisfied, then the function is analytic. Additionally, we can also check for the existence of a well-defined derivative at every point in the domain.

3. Can 1/(z+2i) be expressed as a power series?

No, 1/(z+2i) cannot be expressed as a power series because it is not analytic. This is because it fails to satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, specifically the condition that the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts must be continuous.

4. How can we show that 1/(z+2i) is not differentiable at any point?

We can show that 1/(z+2i) is not differentiable at any point by using the limit definition of the derivative. If we take the limit of the difference quotient as it approaches any point in the domain, we will find that the limit does not exist. This means that the function is not differentiable at any point and therefore not analytic.

5. Can 1/(z+2i) be extended to a larger domain while remaining analytic?

No, 1/(z+2i) cannot be extended to a larger domain while remaining analytic. This is because the function fails to satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are necessary for a function to be analytic. Without satisfying these equations, the function cannot be extended to a larger domain and remain analytic.