How to transform this into partial derivatives? (Arfken)

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about the divergence of a vector field and the transformation of an equation. The first equation uses the definition of derivative, and in the limit as the variable approaches zero, it becomes a rearrangement of the derivative. The second equation is a statement of conservation of mass and is required by the continuity equation. The conversation also includes a typo correction and a mention of finding the derivation of the continuity equation.
physicophysiology
wow.PNG

Hello. Glad to meet you, everyone
I am studying the [Mathematical Methods for Physicists; A Comprehensive Guide (7th ed.) - George B. Arfken, Hans J. Weber, Frank E. Harris]
In Divergence of Vector Field,
I do not understand that
1.png

How to transform the equation in left side into that in right side?

Besides, the other question is
2.png

How to transform the equation in left side into that in right side?

Attachments

• wow.PNG
    wow.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 882
  • 1.png
    1.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 562
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 372
Physics news on Phys.org
In physics derivations, we often tend to be a little careless about distinguishing between small finite things and the limit as those things go to 0. But essentially the first one is using the definition of derivative.

Suppose instead of ##dx## you use ##h##.
Define ##f(x) = \rho v_x##.
Then ##\left. -(\rho v_x) \right |_{x-dx/2} = f(x - (h/2))## and ##\left. -(\rho v_x) \right |_{x+dx/2} = f(x + (h/2))## and the left hand side of that equation becomes ##f(x + (h/2)) - f(x - (h/2))##.
We know that in the limit as ##h \rightarrow 0##, ##\frac {f(x + (h/2)) - f(x - (h/2))} {h} \rightarrow \frac {\partial f}{\partial x}## which is being rearranged as
##f(x + (h/2)) - f(x - (h/2)) = h \frac {\partial f}{\partial x}##
where ##h## is the infinitesimal ##dx##.

It is as I said not exactly rigorous mathematics.

As for your second question, you can not transform the left into the right. That's not a statement that the two quantities are equal in all cases. It's a restatement of some earlier differential equation. The left is the divergence of ##\rho \vec v## and the right is the time derivative of ##\rho##. There must be some other equation that says that those two things are equal for ##\rho##.

Likes physicophysiology and tnich
RPinPA said:
In physics derivations, we often tend to be a little careless about distinguishing between small finite things and the limit as those things go to 0. But essentially the first one is using the definition of derivative.

Then ##\left. -(\rho v_x) \right |_{x-dx/2} = f(x - (h/2))## and ##\left. -(\rho v_x) \right |_{x+dx/2} = f(x + (h/2))## and the left hand side of that equation becomes ##f(x + (h/2)) - f(x - (h/2))##.
We know that in the limit as ##h \rightarrow 0##, ##\frac {f(x + (h/2)) - f(x - (h/2))} {h} \rightarrow \frac {\partial f}{\partial x}## which is being rearranged as

As for your second question, you can not transform the left into the right. That's not a statement that the two quantities are equal in all cases. It's a restatement of some earlier differential equation. The left is the divergence of ##\rho \vec v## and the right is the time derivative of ##\rho##. There must be some other equation that says that those two things are equal for ##\rho##.
I think the second equation is just conservation of mass.

The second equation is required by conservation of mass. It is equivalent to saying that the rate of increase of mass within a fixed control volume is equal to the net rate of flow of mass into the control volume (in minus out).

Likes physicophysiology
RPinPA said:

Thank you very much
And I found the derivation of continuity equation so I understood the second equation

physicophysiologist said:
Thank you very much
And I found the derivation of continuity equation so I understood the second equation

There was a typo in my response, a minus sign that doesn't belong there. But glad you got the sense of my argument anyway.

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative used in multivariable calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. They are denoted by ∂ and are useful in studying how a function changes as one variable changes, while keeping the others fixed.

2. Why do we need to transform into partial derivatives?

Transforming a function into partial derivatives allows us to analyze how the function changes in relation to specific variables. This is especially useful in physics and engineering, where many phenomena involve multiple variables that are interdependent. By using partial derivatives, we can break down a complex function into smaller, more manageable parts and better understand how it behaves.

3. How do you transform a function into partial derivatives?

To transform a function into partial derivatives, we use the partial derivative operator, which is denoted by ∂. We take the derivative of the function with respect to each variable, treating all other variables as constants. The resulting expression will be a partial derivative with respect to that specific variable. This process is repeated for each variable in the function to obtain a set of partial derivatives.

4. What is the difference between partial derivatives and total derivatives?

The main difference between partial derivatives and total derivatives is that partial derivatives only consider the change in a function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. Total derivatives, on the other hand, take into account the changes in all variables. Partial derivatives are useful for studying the behavior of a function in relation to specific variables, while total derivatives are more appropriate for finding the overall change of the function.

5. In what fields are partial derivatives commonly used?

Partial derivatives are essential in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance. They are used to analyze the behavior of complex systems and to make predictions about how these systems will change. In physics, they are used to study the motion of objects in relation to time and other variables. In engineering, they are used to optimize designs and analyze the behavior of mechanical systems. In economics and finance, they are used to study market trends and make predictions about future outcomes.