How to truly remove an ant colony

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
russ_watters
Mentor
Well in the videos I've heard them say "pouring 1200* F into an ant hill" but I suppose it is likely that they just looked up the melting point and put that number.

It seems like if it was near the actual melting point, most of it would be starting to solidify by the time they were pouring, and whatever came out would be 'blobby.'
A couple of things we know and some speculation:

1. We know the aluminum is near its melting temp because as it pours, it is forming a solidified, thin foil skin.
2. Heat of fusion for most materials is very large, so even as it starts to solidify, it takes a large energy outflow to solidify a little bit.
3. It is therefore likely that as the aluminum flows into the anthill, it coats the walls of the tunnels with a thin layer of solid aluminum, which helps stabilize the tunnels while providing pipes for the transfer of more molen aluminum.

A couple of things we know and some speculation:

1. We know the aluminum is near its melting temp because as it pours, it is forming a solidified, thin foil skin.
2. Heat of fusion for most materials is very large, so even as it starts to solidify, it takes a large energy outflow to solidify a little bit.
3. It is therefore likely that as the aluminum flows into the anthill, it coats the walls of the tunnels with a thin layer of solid aluminum, which helps stabilize the tunnels while providing pipes for the transfer of more molen aluminum.
Ah, thank you!

This guy is selling the casts. He is killing ants to make money. For all we know he could be searching for large ant hills with a bucketful of aluminium in his hand, thinking about his next sale. It is morally questionable so yeah, I was being serious.

Are you serious about "Just ants"? If all ants were to somehow vanish then the whole ecosystem would probably break down. And not to mention, ants are awesome :smile:
Remember, though, as nugatory pointed out:

These ants are solenopsis invicta, a non-native invasive species that is destructive to native flora and fauna and a very unpleasant neighbor.
It is also doubtful that one guy killing one nest a day could make a dent in this population. I would wager as soon as he clears an area another nest is started there within a week.

Student100
Education Advisor
Gold Member
You may get a different reaction from people who live in fire-ant country in North America.... These ants are solenopsis invicta, a non-native invasive species that is destructive to native flora and fauna and a very unpleasant neighbor.
Yeah I know that, I've been bitten by them. I was trying to be funny, and failed. :frown:

chuffmonkey
Kidnap the Queen, as without a Queen, the ant empire would fall, like the Romans... Be very careful though, as crimes against the monarchy still carry the death sentence here in the U.K

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Yeah I know that, I've been bitten by them. I was trying to be funny, and failed. :frown:
I thought it was funny. "People for the Ethical Treatment of Ants".

:rofl:

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Be very careful though, as crimes against the monarchy still carry the death sentence here in the U.K
Some places there doesn't need to be a crime.

jang-song-thaek.jpg

Kidnap the Queen, as without a Queen, the ant empire would fall, like the Romans... Be very careful though, as crimes against the monarchy still carry the death sentence here in the U.K
Fire ant colonies are usually multi-queen colonies. Queens live for several years creating roughly 9 million new fireants so the Ant Art is doing its part to eliminate the pest in some small way.

http://www.desertmuseum.org/invaders/invaders_fireant.php