Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to truly remove an ant colony

1. Dec 11, 2013 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2013 #2
    That was very cool! I'm surprised how much aluminum it took. The finished product looked like some sort of coral structure.

I think only about 5 ants escaped, too.

4. Dec 12, 2013 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Wow impressive. I'm actually impressed by at least 2 things:
    1)I would have thought that the aluminium wouldn't go that deep without solidifying. It must have been extremely hot, significantly hotter than the melting point?
    2)The ant nest is surprisingly small to me... with a single entrance?!

5. Dec 12, 2013 #4
    I would have thought that creating that huge whole at the top would collapse and plug a lot of the tunnels

btw, if you do a google image search you'll find a lot of other casts. Some quite large.

6. Dec 12, 2013 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Greg, I was also surprised the structure of the colony was preserved with the weight of the aluminum at the top pouring down and everything.

fluid, it might be that some tunnels collapsed during the process and so we only got to see a portion of the nest.

7. Dec 12, 2013 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, it shouldn't be too surprising that a cast can be made this way. Traditional casts are made of wet sand (the fineness of the sand affecting the quality of the cast). So it is certainly possible to pour molten metal into a cavity in sand and have it fill the space. There is some technique involved, and my guess is they're aware of that.

8. Dec 13, 2013 #7

turbo

Gold Member

If you want to kill a lot of ants, mix some borax and powdered sugar and dissolve them in water. Set that mixture out where the ants can get it. The borax will plug up the guts of the ants. The foragers will take that mix back to the colony, and kill them all, starting with the queen who gets dibs on all sweet stuff.

9. Dec 13, 2013 #8

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Someone call PETA.

10. Dec 14, 2013 #9
    From what I've read, it's at around 1200* F.

11. Dec 14, 2013 #10
    The melting point is: 1,221°F (660.3°C) and the boiling point is: 4,566°F (2,519°C), so there seems to be a lot of room for pouring it well above the melting point. How hot an amateur can get it is probably most dependent on what kind of crucible they have available.

12. Dec 14, 2013 #11
    Well in the videos I've heard them say "pouring 1200* F into an ant hill" but I suppose it is likely that they just looked up the melting point and put that number.

It seems like if it was near the actual melting point, most of it would be starting to solidify by the time they were pouring, and whatever came out would be 'blobby.'

13. Dec 14, 2013 #12
    I would imagine it's trial and error. If it cools too fast one time, keep it in the furnace longer before the next pour. That sort of thing.

Edit: it's also conceivable the nest was actually a lot deeper but the aluminum "froze" at a certain point before the full depth was reached.

14. Dec 14, 2013 #13

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Earth is a fairly good insulator, so it doesn't take the heat out of the aluminum too fast. The traditional way to make metal castings was using sand moulds. The main difference is that earth probably has a higher water content that industrial molding sand.

You don't need exotic crucible materials to cast aluminum. Iron doesn't melt until about 2700F (1500C). You should be able to get aluminum up to about 1600F with a simple gas furnace. Casting aluminum barely get the iron glowing red hot.

The tranditional way to make an engine cylinder block by sand casting is a lot more "delicate" (though it doesn't look that way if you see it done). There, you first make the "ants nest" out of sand bonded with resin, for the water and air passages, and then cast the metal around it. When I started work in industry, the company was still casting 27-liter V12 aero engine blocks with sand molds (for use in power boat racing, not aircraft), The sand molds of the internal parts were works of art. These pictures http://www.syegd.com/en/product-info.php?cid=17 [Broken] are much simpler.

And the real work of art was the wooden "pattern" for molding the sand. Those had to be made like a 3-D jigsaw puzzle, so you could remove all the pieces of wood without breaking the sand inside. No computer aided design or robots back then - just a guy sitting at a carpenter's bench using hand tools.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  15. Dec 14, 2013 #14

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I probably should have, and did, google what I remembered, before I posted; "10 tons of molten aluminum!?!?!?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFg21x2sj-M ​

Ants are cool.

ps. I concur with Student100; "Someone call PETA."

16. Dec 14, 2013 #15
    With all this in mind, casting ant nests is much less demanding than it looks, despite the complexity of the nest.

I've read about amateurs melting aluminum with charcoal, an old hair dryer as air blower, and a clay flower pot furnace. You need proper protective gear, of course, and 100% reliable tongs to lift the crucible, but all this is well within most people's reach.

17. Dec 14, 2013 #16

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Jesus.

18. Dec 14, 2013 #17

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You may get a different reaction from people who live in fire-ant country in North America.... These ants are solenopsis invicta, a non-native invasive species that is destructive to native flora and fauna and a very unpleasant neighbor.

19. Dec 16, 2013 #18
    Killing ants to remove pests is acceptable, but to create "Art"..... that cannot be justified in any way.

20. Dec 16, 2013 #19

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you kidding me? :rofl:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/art

21. Dec 16, 2013 #20
    Are you being serious right now?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook