How to turn glass into a mirror

• Chemical/Paint
  • Thread starter lovicodo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass Mirror
In summary, the author recommends using a wetting agent to make the silver solution more effective, and silvering plastic using this procedure with a clean surface.
lovicodo
hi to all,
i have some questions about glass silvering;
i found this procedure:
1) make a solution (A) with 1.4 gr silver nitrate + 17gr water
then, add to the solution 1.2gr of ammonia 26% solution

2) make a solution (B) with 9.2 gr potassium bitartrate + 4gr sodium carbonate + 17gr water

3) make a solution (C) made of 5gr (A) + 5gr (B) + 100gr water

4) put a very clean glass sheet (*) in solution (C) , and leave it in the solution until the glass silvering is done.

(*) the glass must be very clean before silvering :
to clean it, wash it with a 6% tin chloride solution,
then rinse it with hot water.

The author claims that with this procedure is possible to silver also plastic with very smooth surfaces.

The questions are:

1) Do you think that this procedure can really work also for plastics?

2) How can i make the plastic surface clean (and smooth)?
do you think that the 6% tin chloride solution is suitable also for plastics, or does need another cleaner?

I am interested in plastics such as PLA,ABS,PETG; i have read somewhere that PETG is more suitable than the others...

P.S: this is my first post in this forum,
i am sorry if i have posted the question in a wrong forum section, in this case i ask to moderator to move it in the right place...

Thank you!
Lodovico

Physics news on Phys.org
thank you
yes, i found that the tin chloride solution is used to enhance the adesion, it is a 'sensitizer' and to have better results, the object surface must be covered with a wetting agent (a surfactant) before applying the tin chloride solution.
about this solution, i found some methods to make it without having to buy the tin chloride powder
the method is by using only the tin and hydrochloric acid
i wonder which is the best method...i open a new thread for this...

Have you looked at processes like this?

1. How do you turn glass into a mirror?

To turn glass into a mirror, you will need to apply a reflective coating to the surface of the glass. This coating is typically made of a thin layer of silver or aluminum, which is applied through a chemical process called silvering.

2. What is the process of silvering?

Silvering is a chemical process where a thin layer of silver or aluminum is deposited onto the surface of the glass. This process involves creating a solution of silver nitrate and other chemicals, which is then applied to the glass. The silver ions in the solution react with the glass surface, forming a reflective layer of silver or aluminum.

3. Can any type of glass be turned into a mirror?

Yes, most types of glass can be turned into a mirror. However, the glass must have a smooth and flat surface for the coating to adhere properly. Tempered or frosted glass, as well as glass with a textured surface, may not be suitable for turning into a mirror.

4. What equipment is needed to turn glass into a mirror?

In addition to the chemicals and solutions used in the silvering process, you will also need a glass cutter, a cleaning solution, a soft cloth, and a protective coating to prevent the mirror from tarnishing. You may also need safety equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when handling the chemicals.

5. Is it possible to turn glass into a mirror at home?

While it is possible to turn glass into a mirror at home, it is a complex and potentially hazardous process. It is recommended to seek professional help or use a mirror making kit to ensure safety and quality results. Additionally, the necessary chemicals and equipment may be difficult to obtain for amateur use.