1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to turn on & off an LED continously for 1 second?

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    Please help me the simplest possible way to turn on & off an LED continously for 1 second.
    Please don't suggest me to get it done by micro-controller, help me achieve my goal by the most possible and easiest way.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2
    Maybe you should hook up the LED to a sinusoid voltage source. Turn the voltage source on for 1 second then turn it off.

4. May 19, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi netfreak! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

Usable over a range of DC voltages and currents, the NE555 timer IC can drive a LED with a square wave.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. May 19, 2012 #4
    @roshanbbq , no no using AC wont be a good option at all

Yes I have just bought 555 IC timer and will try using it tomorrow. . .
    For now I was just wondering that by using simple RC circuit, is there anyway I can continously blink the LED on and off for 1 second? I can't get any way to make it work but can you people please help?

6. May 19, 2012 #5

gneill

No, a simple RC circuit, without other "active" components, is unable to do much other than charge or discharge the capacitor once and once only. You need something that will provide a bit of logic and switching, such as the 555.

It's not clear why you want to accomplish this task, but I will point out that it is possible to purchase LED's with a built-in circuit that makes them blink at a rate of a few flashes per second. A suitable web search will find them. Good luck!

7. May 20, 2012 #6
    um ok ok , now am getting lil step by step now. . .

And yes I have got that LED as well that has builtin circuit which makes it flash every second but I just wanted to achieve the same using RC or using inductor alongwith it and simple components like this

Many thanks to all of you for guiding me so much :) Today I'll try achieving the task by using 555 IC :)

8. May 20, 2012 #7
    Hi Bud,

Use the 555 timer circuit attached and this website for resistor and capacitor values kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm

Attached Files:

9. May 22, 2012 #8

Wow that was of great help as there is lot of such stuff present on the website that made me aware of many things that I didn't know about 555.
    I want to ask one thing here. . . On the website its written : "A low frequency astable (< 10Hz) can be used to flash an LED on and off, higher frequency flashes are too fast to be seen clearly. Driving a loudspeaker or piezo transducer with a low frequency of less than 20Hz will produce a series of 'clicks' (one for each low/high transition) and this can be used to make a simple metronome. "

So does it mean that I must choose my C1=10uF ?(as my purpose is to blink the LED for 1 sec ON and 1 sec OFF)

10. May 22, 2012 #9

NascentOxygen

I would probably choose C1=2.2μF (or use a pair of 1μF caps in parallel).
    Note that electrolytic capacitors have wide manufacturing tolerances, perhaps as much as +100% and -50% so you should expect to have to adjust R or C to obtain precisely 0.5Hz if that's what you are aiming for.

11. May 22, 2012 #10
    Okay :) Thankyou very much for your guidance:) I'll definitely come here with my results and let you all know how things turned out for me :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook