How to Understand the Ratio of Quadratic Roots?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Mathsonfire
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
86
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180712/7faa109f841501a10a2d07b6e8e10681.jpg
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mathsonfire said:
86

Those are nice problems. If you're prepping for the Olympiad, you will need the skills. If all else fails, brute force it! Of course, if you're not fast enough, you'll waste too much time.

Personally, I wrote down the ratios and solved for b. You could solve for any of the 4 remaining arbitrary coefficients.

They were nice to you and made them both monic quadratics.
 
tkhunny said:
Those are nice problems. If you're prepping for the Olympiad, you will need the skills. If all else fails, brute force it! Of course, if you're not fast enough, you'll waste too much time.

Personally, I wrote down the ratios and solved for b. You could solve for any of the 4 remaining arbitrary coefficients.

They were nice to you and made them both monic quadratics.

I didnt get it
 
Mathsonfire said:
I didnt get it

Didn't get what? Ratios? Solve for...? Please provide YOUR work.