How to understand why massless particles must travel at c?

In summary, Massless particles must travel at c because they have no rest mass and therefore their energy is entirely kinetic, making their momentum equal to their energy divided by the speed of light. This can be proven using the equation E^2= (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2 and the fact that for massless particles, E=pc. This also means that massless particles do not need to accelerate, they reach c immediately. This concept can be understood through the equation E=hf=pc, but other methods may be needed if the energy or frequency are not known.
SecretSnow
First of all, i need to say that i have read various threads posted by other users in physicsforum who have asked the same question. However, I still don't have a clear picture of why massless particles must travel at c. Personally, I have came up with an explanation which is rather simple, which may or may not be valid, and of course, i wish to validate it here. Another thing I wish to know is why must massless particles travel at c according to the 'equation way'? That is, through this equation [itex] E^2= (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2 [/itex]

This is my own guess: All objects with mass can reach c, given that there is time for it to accelerate all the way to c. However, for massless particles they reach c immediately because they do not need time to accelerate and they reach c in no time, or 0 seconds. Hence, we perceive that all massless particles must travel at c, since there is no way in which we can view a massless particle to be traveling at a speed lower than c because it just reaches c instantly. Is this reasoning valid? However, there's another question. Am i right to say that as long an object is allowed to accelerate indefinitely in space in the same direction without any resistance or collision, it will reach the cosmic speed limit?

Of course, I would definitely like to understand this concept through the 'legitimate' way or 'equation way'. These are some links which otaher users have posted about the same question:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=502572
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=202934
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=481362
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=396044

Physics news on Phys.org
All objects with mass can reach c
No.

However, for massless particles they reach c immediately because they do not need time to accelerate
They do not even accelerate.[itex] E^2= (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2 [/itex]
[itex]E=pc \frac{c}{v}[/itex]
For massless particles, E=pc and therefore v=c.

A useful general relationship for the velocity as a fraction of the speed of light is

$$\frac{v}{c} = \frac{pc}{E}$$

For example, an electron with momentum 300 keV/c and energy 400 keV has v/c = 0.75, i.e. v = 0.75c.

For a photon, pc = E.

SecretSnow said:
This is my own guess: All objects with mass can reach c, given that there is time for it to accelerate all the way to c.

No. There is never enough time to reach c, even in principle. It would require delivering an infinite amount of energy to the object, which would require an infinite amount of time. You can get it infinitesimally close to c; how close depends on how much energy you have available. But you can never get it all the way to c.

Last edited:
Time will slow down as it's speed increases(proper time)

Why is it that for massless particles, E=pc? How do I prove this? Isn't that for particles with rest mass not equal to zero only?

And how can a massless particle have momentum? If relativistic momentum is = gamma*m0*v, then shouldn't it be 0? In this case if the speed is c we have 0/0 which is undefined.

SecretSnow said:
First of all, i need to say that i have read various threads posted by other users in physicsforum who have asked the same question. However, I still don't have a clear picture of why massless particles must travel at c.

Perhaps because, in totally opposition with the academic position, mass itself is not coming from a speed greater than 0 (which is our custumized view point on the earth), but from a speed smaller than c... (which would be a viewpoint from a passenger traveling with the ligth or with the expanding universe)?

Just a poetic proposition.

SecretSnow said:
And how can a massless particle have momentum? If relativistic momentum is = gamma*m0*v, then shouldn't it be 0?

Relativistic momentum is only gamma * m0 * v for a particle with nonzero m0. The more fundamental relation is the one mfb posted:

[tex]E^2 = m_0^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2[/tex]

which works for both massive particles and massless particles. If [itex]m_0 = 0[/itex], the above relation just gives [itex]E = pc[/itex], which is what mfb and jtbell already gave you as the correct formula for the momentum of a photon.

PeterDonis said:
Relativistic momentum is only gamma * m0 * v for a particle with nonzero m0. The more fundamental relation is the one mfb posted:

[tex]E^2 = m_0^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2[/tex]

which works for both massive particles and massless particles. If [itex]m_0 = 0[/itex], the above relation just gives [itex]E = pc[/itex], which is what mfb and jtbell already gave you as the correct formula for the momentum of a photon.

In this case, how do I find the correct value of p? Do I have to use E=hf=pc? Or is there an even more direct way? Thanks a lot! I think I'm getting there already!

Correct value of p for what?
E=hf=pc is fine if you know E or f. If not, you need some other way to determine one of those 3 quantities.

SecretSnow said:
In this case, how do I find the correct value of p?

If you know E for a massless particle, you automatically know p from E = pc.

mfb said:
No.

They do not even accelerate.

[itex] E^2= (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2 [/itex]
[itex]E=pc \frac{c}{v}[/itex]
For massless particles, E=pc and therefore v=c.

sorry to be an idiot here, how did u put v into the second equation...i mean algebraically

IMO this is easier to show using my version:

$$\frac{pc}{E} = \frac{v}{c}$$

Start with the usual equations for relativistic momentum and energy: ##p = \gamma mv## and ##E = \gamma mc^2## (where ##\gamma = 1 / \sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}##). Substitute these into the left side of the equation above, and cancel whatever you can cancel.

jtbell said:
IMO this is easier to show using my version:

$$\frac{pc}{E} = \frac{v}{c}$$

Start with the usual equations for relativistic momentum and energy: ##p = \gamma mv## and ##E = \gamma mc^2## (where ##\gamma = 1 / \sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}##). Substitute these into the left side of the equation above, and cancel whatever you can cancel.

I wish I could start my university again with a different course...

thank you :D i got it

1. What is the significance of massless particles traveling at the speed of light?

The speed of light, or c, is a fundamental constant in the universe. It is the maximum speed at which any form of energy or information can travel. Massless particles, such as photons, have no rest mass and therefore must travel at this maximum speed.

2. How do we know that massless particles travel at the speed of light?

This is a fundamental principle in physics known as the Special Theory of Relativity. It has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment, and is a crucial part of our understanding of the universe.

3. Why is it impossible for massless particles to travel at any other speed?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is a universal constant and cannot be exceeded by any object with mass. Since massless particles have no rest mass, they cannot travel at any speed other than c.

4. How does the masslessness of particles affect their behavior?

Massless particles, such as photons, do not experience the effects of time dilation or length contraction as they travel at the speed of light. They also do not interact with the Higgs field, which gives particles their mass. This allows them to travel indefinitely at c without losing energy.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that massless particles travel at c?

While massless particles must travel at c in a vacuum, they can be slowed down when passing through a medium such as water or air. This is because they can interact with the particles in the medium, causing them to lose some of their energy and travel at a slower speed.