How to use Bernoulli's Equation Correctly?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Bernoulli's equation to determine the total head at a point in a pipe system and the reasons why energy is not always conserved. It was also mentioned that there are 3 main assumptions in the derivation of Bernoulli's equation, including constant mass flow rate, frictionless system, and irrotational flow. The conversation also touched on the importance of understanding the fluid involved in the system.
xian_kgx
One large pipe is splitted into 2 smaller pipes. Can we use Bernoulli's equation and say that the total head at a point in the large pipe is equal to a point at one of the 2 smaller pipes? Why is energy not conserved?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are 3 main assumptions in the derivation of the Bernoulli equation. What are they?

energy not conserved cuase of the losses-
as long as there is a flow then there is a difference in energy-which cuased the flow to occur-
there is the primary losses(friction)and the secondry(valve,bend-)which u don have here--
if u could show ur pipe system-it would be more clear for us-
wish i could help

Hi Fred,

Good hints. Check my answers and let me know if I got all of them! :smile:
FredGarvin said:
There are 3 main assumptions in the derivation of the Bernoulli equation. What are they?

1) Constant mass flow rate (no surges).
2) Frictionless (no heat transfer).
3) Irrotational (translational velocity only).

How'd I do?
Rainman

They are:
- Incompressible
- Inviscous
- Steady State
Since it also is applied along the streamline, so the irrotational part holds too.
A+ for Rainman

As for the main post, energy will not be conserved because of the losses due to friction. Also, you do not state the fluid involved. If it is a liquid, then the incompressibility assumption is pretty much valid. If it is a gas, you need to be concerned with it.

1. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid in a steady flow. It states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline.

2. How do I use Bernoulli's equation correctly?

To use Bernoulli's equation correctly, you must first identify the points along the streamline where the fluid properties are known. Then, you can apply the equation, which states that the sum of the pressure, kinetic energy, and potential energy per unit volume at one point is equal to the sum of the same quantities at any other point along the streamline. It is important to note that Bernoulli's equation is valid for inviscid, incompressible fluids in steady flow.

3. What is the Bernoulli's equation formula?

The formula for Bernoulli's equation is P1 + 1/2ρv1^2 + ρgh1 = P2 + 1/2ρv2^2 + ρgh2, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density, v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the elevation.

4. Can Bernoulli's equation be used for all types of fluids?

No, Bernoulli's equation is only valid for ideal fluids, which are inviscid (have no internal friction) and incompressible (have constant density). Real fluids, such as air and water, have some viscosity and compressibility, so Bernoulli's equation is only an approximation for these fluids.

5. What are some real-world applications of Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation has many practical applications, including the design of aircraft wings, the operation of carburetors in engines, and the calculation of water flow rates in pipes. It is also used in weather forecasting and the study of ocean currents.