Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to use Bernoulli's Equation Correctly?

1. Oct 12, 2006 #1
    One large pipe is splitted into 2 smaller pipes. Can we use Bernoulli's equation and say that the total head at a point in the large pipe is equal to a point at one of the 2 smaller pipes? Why is energy not conserved?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

There are 3 main assumptions in the derivation of the Bernoulli equation. What are they?

4. Oct 13, 2006 #3
    energy not conserved cuase of the losses-
    as long as there is a flow then there is a difference in energy-which cuased the flow to occur-
    there is the primary losses(friction)and the secondry(valve,bend-)which u don have here--
    if u could show ur pipe system-it would be more clear for us-
    wish i could help

5. Oct 14, 2006 #4
    Hi Fred,

Good hints. Check my answers and let me know if I got all of them! :smile:
    1) Constant mass flow rate (no surges).
    2) Frictionless (no heat transfer).
    3) Irrotational (translational velocity only).

How'd I do?
    Rainman

6. Oct 14, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

They are:
    - Incompressible
    - Inviscous
    - Steady State
    Since it also is applied along the streamline, so the irrotational part holds too.
    A+ for Rainman

As for the main post, energy will not be conserved because of the losses due to friction. Also, you do not state the fluid involved. If it is a liquid, then the incompressibility assumption is pretty much valid. If it is a gas, you need to be concerned with it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?