Can I apply Bernoulli's equation to this situation?

In summary: I can find the exact wording... \"simplified model\" in which you take all the effects of the pump out of the equation. the fact that you have a pump in the mix is also another complication. You basically need to try and write a...let me see if I can find the exact wording... \"simplified model\" in which you take all the effects of the pump out of the equation.
Atouk
TL;DR Summary
Necessary conditions for Bernoulli's theorem.
1.png

Can Bernoulli's equation be applied between points 1 and 2, ignoring the another tank ?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Atouk said:
Summary:: Necessary conditions for Bernoulli's theorem

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/263163
Can Bernoulli's equation be applied between points 1 and 2, ignoring the another tank ?
What do you think?

I would say "of course not". But
Chestermiller said:
What do you think?
I would say "of course not", but I can not explain what happens with the steamline between 1 and 2...

All the water would flow from the upper reservoir to the lower reservoir on the right. There would be no flow from 2 to 1 unless a huge flow were forced by the pump. It would have to provide a pressure of at least 10 psi.

Chestermiller said:
All the water would flow from the upper reservoir to the lower reservoir on the right. There would be no flow from 2 to 1 unless a huge flow were forced by the pump. It would have to provide a pressure of at least 10 psi.
I see, but supposing that I have all the information about the points 1 and 2
(speed, pressure and height), could I be able to apply Bernoulli's equation and figure out Hp?
My question is conceptual, the values don't matter.

Last edited:
Atouk said:
I see, but supposing that I have all the information about the points 1 and 2
(speed, pressure and height), could I be able to apply Bernoulli's equation and figure out Hp?
My question is conceptual, the values don't matter.
I think that if you specify the flow at the pump, you can determine the pressure at the pump and the flows in the two arms using Bernoulli.

Chestermiller said:
I think that if you specify the flow at the pump, you can determine the pressure at the pump and the flows in the two arms using Bernoulli.
So, in an ideal situation (steady flow, without losses in pipes, etc.)
p1 / ρ + (v1^2) / 2 + g*h1 = p2 / ρ + (v2^2) / 2 + g*h2 - Hp ?

Atouk said:
So, in an ideal situation (steady flow, without losses in pipes, etc.)
p1 / ρ + (v1^2) / 2 + g*h1 = p2 / ρ + (v2^2) / 2 + g*h2 - Hp ?
To get your feet wet, start out by considering the problem where there is no flow from the pump.

What does the red arrow mean?

Chestermiller said:
Where on Earth are you getting 10 psi from here?

Atouk said:
Summary:: Necessary conditions for Bernoulli's theorem.

View attachment 263167

In general, this does not look like a situation where Bernoulli would apply because based on the diagram alone, I strongly suspect that there are significant viscous losses here, especially given that 2 is labeled as a river with what appears to be a free surface well below the surface of 1. Bernoulli applies to situations without significant viscous loss, and I don't see how that can be the case here.

cjl said:
Where on Earth are you getting 10 psi from here?
If I remember correctly, the OP showed some dimensions on his original post (which was later edited).

cjl said:
In general, this does not look like a situation where Bernoulli would apply because based on the diagram alone, I strongly suspect that there are significant viscous losses here, especially given that 2 is labeled as a river with what appears to be a free surface well below the surface of 1. Bernoulli applies to situations without significant viscous loss, and I don't see how that can be the case here.
After further consideration of this situation, I totally agree.

Chestermiller said:
If I remember correctly, the OP showed some dimensions on his original post (which was later edited).
Ah, that would explain it. I first saw it with no dimensions, so your claim seemed totally arbitrary.

You could apply Bernoulli with extra terms to account for losses.

No, you cannot apply bernoulli between those two points and ignore the other tank. I vaguely remember these sorts of problems from technikon. You have to calculate the flows through multiple paths and then superimpose them on each other. You have to calculate how much flow there will be from the top tank to the river and then how much flow there will be from the top tank to the bottom tank etc and then the algebraic sum of the different flows will give you the actual flows. You could very well end up with net flow towards the bottom tank and towards the river simultaneously. You absolutely cannot ignore the bottom tank.

the fact that you have a pump in the mix is also another complication. You basically need to try and write a system curve up for this interconnection of tanks. This is a very difficult problem that I think you can only solve through making assumptions and then iterating until things work out. You are going to spend a lot of time on this...Do you have numbers for the different values like surface heights of the fluid and pipe diameters etc etc.
The pump curve would also help.

1. Can Bernoulli's equation be applied to all fluid flow situations?

No, Bernoulli's equation can only be applied to ideal fluid flow situations, where the fluid is incompressible, non-viscous, and the flow is steady and laminar.

2. What are the assumptions made when applying Bernoulli's equation?

The assumptions made are that the fluid is ideal, the flow is steady and laminar, and there is no energy lost due to friction or turbulence.

3. Can Bernoulli's equation be used for both liquids and gases?

Yes, Bernoulli's equation can be used for both liquids and gases as long as they are in ideal fluid flow conditions.

4. Is Bernoulli's equation applicable to both open and closed systems?

Yes, Bernoulli's equation can be applied to both open and closed systems as long as the fluid flow conditions are ideal.

5. What is the practical use of Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is commonly used in the study of fluid mechanics and is used to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in various engineering applications, such as in the design of aircraft wings and fluid pumps.