Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to use latex on microsoft word

1. Nov 22, 2005 #1

DB

i would like to type up a lab report with alot of equations and calculations on word but i don't know how to use latex on word, wat do i have to do?

thnx

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2005 #2
    I'm pretty sure recent versions of MS Office include an equation editor of it's own.

4. Nov 22, 2005 #3
    Not by default. Its on the office CDs, but you have to go out of your way to install it.

You cannot use LaTeX in MS Word. If you want to use LaTeX in windows, get MikTeX. Its free, just download it. But you'll have to learn how to do the whole document in latex, not just the equations (its hard to learn, but easy to use).

5. Nov 22, 2005 #4

-Job-

Science Advisor

I think that was introduced in Word 2003, i know i don't have that in Word 2000, so depending on the version you have, you may not have that tool.

6. Nov 22, 2005 #5
    I have Office XP which is 2002 I believe and the equation editor is in there.

7. Nov 22, 2005 #6
    Its in every version. Its not part of the default installation in any. I've done it in 97, 2000, and XP. You have to specify it when installing.

8. Nov 22, 2005 #7
    If you originally installed Microsoft Office from a network file server or from a shared folder, you must install Equation Editor from that location. If you installed Office from a CD-ROM, you must install Equation Editor from the disc.

Quit all programs.
    Do one of the following:
    If you run Microsoft Windows 2000, double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon in Control Panel.
    If you run Microsoft Windows XP, click Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
    In the Currently installed programs box, click the listing for Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word, depending on whether you installed Word as part of Office or as an individual program, and then click Change.
    On the Maintenance Mode Options screen, click Add or Remove Features, and then click Next.
    If a Custom Setup screen appears, select the Choose advanced customization of applications check box, and then click Next.
    In the list of features to install, click the expand indicator (+) next to Office Tools.
    Click the arrow next to Equation Editor, and then click Run from My Computer.
    Click Update.
    Restart Word.

9. Jan 6, 2006 #8
    I have MikTex installed but don't always want to do a complete document in LaTeX. If you have MikTex installed, a quick and dirty solution to getting equations into Word is to download (free) TexPoint which is a plug-in for PowerPoint. Create an equation image in PPT with LaTex commands, then copy and paste the equation image into Word.

10. Jan 6, 2006 #9
    Just a side note, I use WinEdt to compose LaTeX documents under Windows, in conjunction to MikTeX. It's really pretty nice, has buttons and menu options to do most things so I don't spend nearly so much time flipping through the not so short guide.

11. Jan 6, 2006 #10
    Another good editor (free, not shareware) is available at texniccenter.org

12. Jan 6, 2006 #11
    I rescind my reccomendation for WinEdt, this editor looks really nice :biggrin:

13. Jan 7, 2006 #12
    I use prefer MathType myself, it's purely a design program, it can't perform any calculations, but it gives you many posibilities when it comes to formatting the text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?