1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to use mean vaule theorem here

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    i got this question:
    there is a function f(x) which is differentiable on (a,+infinity)
    suppose lim [f(x)]/x =0 as x->+infinity
    prove that lim inf |f'(x)|=0 as x->+infinity ?

does this expression lim inf f'(x)=0 has to be true
    if not
    present a disproving example

?

i was present whis this solution but i didnt quite understand it.
    "First consider [itex]\lim_{m\to\infty}\frac{f(2m)}{m}[/itex], let [itex]2m=x[/itex] and this limit becomes [itex]2\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f(x)}{x}=0[/itex]. So [itex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f(2x)}{x}[/itex] exists and equals [itex]0[/itex]. So [itex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f(x)}{x}=0\implies \lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f(2x)-f(x)}{x}=\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f(2x)-f(x)}{2x-x}=0[/itex]. So now consider the interval [itex][x,2x][/itex] and apply the MVT letting x approach infinity."

mean value theorem says [itex]f'(c)=\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f(2x)-f(x)}{2x-x}=0[/itex]
    i dont know what the value of c??

and it doesnt prove
    lim inf |f'(x)|=0 as x->+infinity

??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Thanks for including your work in your post!!!!

Regarding your question about the Mean Value Theorem:
    The theorem says that if f is continuous on [a, b], and differentiable on (a, b), then there exists some number c in (a, b) such that
    [tex]f'(c) = \frac{f(b) - f(a)}{b - a}[/tex]

The MVT doesn't tell you the value of c or how to find it; it just says that such a number exists.

I believe that what you're reading is saying that since f'(c) = 0 for some number c in [x, 2x], then this is also true in the limit as x approaches infinity.

4. Jan 18, 2009 #3
    so how to prove that
    lim inf |f'(x)|=0 as x->+infinity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?