How to Use the Quotient Rule to Find Derivatives of Functions

  • Thread starter Thread starter rustynail
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    quotient
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
rustynail
Messages
53
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I want to prove that if [tex]y = \frac{u}{v}[/tex]

then [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{ v \frac{du}{dx} - u \frac{dv}{dx} }{v²}[/tex]

u and v are functions of x.

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex]y = uv^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]y + dy = ( u + du ) ( v + dv )^{-1}[/tex]

then I suppose I could use Newton's Binomial to develop

[tex]( v + dv )^{-1}[/tex]

but I don't know how to use the formula

[tex](a+b)^{n} = \sum_{k=0}^{n} \dbinom{n}{k} a^{n-k} b^k[/tex]

with a negative exponent. I'm familiar with binomial coefficients but that negative exponent is leaving me without a clue.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That seems like a rather awkward way to do it. Are you allowed to use the product rule in your proof?
 
I am learning by myself for now, so I'm pretty much allowed to use anything.
How would you do it using the product rule?
 
Well, if you can use the product rule, it becomes a lot easier. Since the product rule is:

(uv)' = u v' + u' v

Just say (u * 1/v)' = u (1/v)' + u' (1/v)

and solve from there.
 
Char. Limit said:
Well, if you can use the product rule, it becomes a lot easier. Since the product rule is:

(uv)' = u v' + u' v

Just say (u * 1/v)' = u (1/v)' + u' (1/v)

and solve from there.

Oooh this is indeed much simpler. Thank you!