How to Use Vieta's Formula for Finding Roots of a Polynomial?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
sooyong94
Messages
173
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


math.png

Part (b)

Homework Equations


Vieta's formula

The Attempt at a Solution



Part (a):
test.png


I'm kinda stuck on part (b) - I tried multiplying the product of roots and got b^2 d^2, but I have no idea on dealing with the sum of roots.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sooyong94 said:

Homework Statement


math.png

Part (b)

Homework Equations


Vieta's formula

The Attempt at a Solution



Part (a):
test.png


I'm kinda stuck on part (b) - I tried multiplying the product of roots and got b^2 d^2, but I have no idea on dealing with the sum of roots.
It would be easier using the quadratic formula instead of Vieta's ones for proving b).
 
Thanks for the hint - I managed to work this problem out. :smile: