How to Use Vieta's Formula for Finding Roots of a Polynomial?

In summary, the conversation was about a homework problem involving Vieta's formula and using the quadratic formula to solve it. The person was stuck on part (b) but was able to solve it with the help of a hint.
sooyong94

Homework Statement

math.png

Part (b)

Homework Equations

Vieta's formula

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a):
test.png

I'm kinda stuck on part (b) - I tried multiplying the product of roots and got b^2 d^2, but I have no idea on dealing with the sum of roots.

Physics news on Phys.org
sooyong94 said:

Homework Statement

math.png

Part (b)

Homework Equations

Vieta's formula

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a):
test.png

I'm kinda stuck on part (b) - I tried multiplying the product of roots and got b^2 d^2, but I have no idea on dealing with the sum of roots.
It would be easier using the quadratic formula instead of Vieta's ones for proving b).

Thanks for the hint - I managed to work this problem out. :smile:

What is Vieta's formula?

Vieta's formula, also known as Vieta's relations or Vieta's theorem, is a mathematical equation that relates the coefficients of a polynomial to its roots. It is named after French mathematician François Viète.

How is Vieta's formula used?

Vieta's formula is used to find the sum and product of the roots of a polynomial equation. It can also be used to find the coefficients of a polynomial if the roots are known.

What is the significance of Vieta's formula?

Vieta's formula is significant because it provides a quick and efficient way to find the sum and product of polynomial roots, which are important in various areas of mathematics, such as algebra, calculus, and number theory.

What are some applications of Vieta's formula?

Vieta's formula has many applications in mathematics, including solving polynomial equations, determining the properties of conic sections, and finding the roots of a polynomial in complex numbers. It is also used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to vibrations and waves.

Are there any limitations to Vieta's formula?

Yes, Vieta's formula only applies to polynomial equations, and it does not work for equations with irrational or imaginary roots. It also does not work for equations with multiple variables or equations that are not in standard form.