1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to visualize entropy in thermodynamics

1. Nov 10, 2006 #1
    entropy is the measure of disorder....but i jsut cannot visualize it in a practical standpoint...i mean...the disorder taking place with soo many particles when heated and yet all i know is that s=q/t....can anyone explain this concept better to me?

one more question...how does one prove using statistical mechanics that
    s=(boltzmann's constant)lnw....were w is the number of macrostates...

i was tryng to do calculus based entropy probelms...but can do them in refrence to s=(boltzmann's constant)lnw, by counting the number of macrostates available??

and is it possible to find th number of macrostates by equating (boltzmann's constant)lnw=q/t....is this a very large number?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2006 #2
    Entropy of a composite system is given by:
    S* = SA + SA'-----(1)
    Number of accessible states to A* is:
    W* = WAWA'------(2)

S*,SA, SA' are entropies of composite system A*, A and A' respectively(A* composed of A and A').
    The entropy is a "state" function.
    For (1) & (2) to hold good simultaneously, what should be the nature of this function?

4. Nov 10, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

W in S=klnW is the number of microstates.

I was indtroduced to entropy through S=klnW as the definition, therefore it's not provable. What definition of S do you use??

5. Nov 10, 2006 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the thermodynamic definition of entropy and forget about the concept of disorder: dS = dQ/T

AM

6. Nov 10, 2006 #5
    You'll need to use the definition of temperature [tex]\frac{1}{k_{B}T} = \frac{\partial\ln\Omega}{\partial U}[/tex] as well.

7. Nov 10, 2006 #6
    ...though you might want to show where that comes from, it might be kinda easy otherwise...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?