• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How was this ODE solution found? Doesn't seem to be the normal solution.

1. Homework Statement
The solution for the differential equation on this page http://electron9.phys.utk.edu/phys135d/modules/m5/Friction.htm#Drag [Broken] checks out, but I can't figure out how they found it. Both my solution and theirs check out. A couple people I asked for help reached the same solution I did.

The problem appears to be with the constant of integration. I don't see a way of getting from mine to theirs though.
What I am guessing theirs is: C = -((kv(0)/g + 1)
Mine: C = (kv(0))/g - 1

I'm starting to suspect that their solution is a very lucky typo. "Lucky" since it is actually a valid solution, unless I checked it wrong.

2. Homework Equations
The differential equation: dv/dt = g - (b/m)v

Their solution: v = (g/k) - [(kv(0) + g)/k]e^(-kt) Where k = b/m

The solution I found: v = (g/k) + [(kv(0) - g)/k]e^(-kt) Where k = b/m
The integrating factor I found: u = e^(kt)
The constant of integration I found: C = (kv(0))/g - 1

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Write the ODE in standard linear form, and solve it as a first-order linear ODE using an integrating factor u(x)=e^(int(p(x)dx). The solution I and a couple other people reached is given above.

On a side-note, I also can't figure out why they multiplied (kv(0))/g in C by k/k. I did the same thing in my solution just because I couldn't see a reason why not (and it makes it easier to compare the two solutions). I suspect the way they found their solution may have had something to do with k/k, but it is also possible they just did that to make it easier to do/show something.

Last edited by a moderator:

fzero

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
For their solution

[tex]v(0) = -v_0.[/tex]

They probably have a sign wrong. The only other possibility is that they're trying to choose a convention where the velocity is negative for a falling object, but that doesn't seem to be compatible with the other terms in their solution.

Is my theory about it being a lucky typo correct then?

fzero

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is my theory about it being a lucky typo correct then?
I obtain the same solution as you did. Since you wrote v(0) rather than v0 there's no room for confusion.

Erm, sorry, but I don't see how that answers my question.

fzero

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Erm, sorry, but I don't see how that answers my question.
Their solution is a solution to the DE, but the notation doesn't correspond well to the initial value condition, since

[tex]v_0 = - v(0).[/tex]

The minus sign could very well be a typo, the only time they refer to v0 is to say that it's the speed at t=0 and the sign didn't matter for that.

You got the right solution and handled the initial value condition the right way.

Alright, thanks for the help.