1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How will I represent the scalar function?

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

show that [itex]\nabla \times (f F)= f \nabla \times F+ (\nabla f) \times F[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

How will I represent the scalar function? Do I write [itex]f=\psi(x,y,z)[/itex] or

[itex]f=A_x+A_y+A_z[/itex]

I chose [itex]F=a_x \vec i +a_y \vec j +a_z \vec k[/itex]

Using [itex]f=\psi(x,y,z)[/itex] I work out the LHS of question as

[itex](\psi a_z)_y-(\psi a_y)_z-(\psi a_z)_x+(\psi a_x)_z+(\psi a_y)_x-(\psi a_x)_y[/itex].............How to go further?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Identities

Just saying that f is a function of x, y, and z would have been sufficient, but [itex]f=\psi(x,y,z)[/itex] is perfectly fine.

Use the product rule (of differentiation) for each of [itex](\psi a_z)_y\,,\ (\psi a_y)_z\,,\ (\psi a_z)_x\,,\ (\psi a_x)_z\,,\ (\psi a_y)_x\,,\ (\psi a_x)_y\,.[/itex]

Using subscripts for partial derivatives may not be such a good idea here. There may be some confusion as to the meaning of such quantities as [itex](a_x)_y[/itex] for example.

4. Jan 16, 2012 #3

Ok but why would we use the product rule though, looking at the first term for example

if psi is a function of x,y and z but since we are partially differentiating wrt y doesn't it just become [itex]a_z \psi_y[/itex]. Ie, if the function was something like [itex]\psi=x^2y^2z^2[/itex] then [itex]\psi_y= 2yx^2z^2[/itex] etc

5. Jan 16, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

az is also a function of x, y, and z.

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\psi a_y\right)=\left(\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}\right)a_y+\psi\left(\frac{\partial a_y}{\partial y}\right)[/itex]

6. Jan 28, 2012 #5

I got this, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook