How would the electric field vector vary at a large distance

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution[/B]I was thinking of calculating the total charge first. But here on integrating the given charge density I'm ending up getting zero.∫ρ dτ= 0. Because dτ=r^2 sinθ dθ dφ drI'm unable to understand how to approach the sum, if I'm getting the total charge 0 in the first place?The answer is that the field must vary by d^-1.
Naomi13
[ Moderator note- Edited to re-insert formatting template headers]

Hi guys,
I am stuck at this problem,

Homework Statement

Here it is given that an insulating sphere of radius a, carries a charge density ρ=ρ'( a^2-r^2)cosθ, when r <a. How will the leading order term for the electric field at a distance d, far away from this charge distribution vary?

ρ' is a constant term.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

I was thinking of calculating the total charge first. But here on integrating the given charge density I'm ending up getting zero.
∫ρ dτ= 0. Because dτ=r^2 sinθ dθ dφ dr
I'm unable to understand how to approach the sum, if I'm getting the total charge 0 in the first place?
The answer is that the field must vary by d^-1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Naomi, :welcome:

(Please use and do not erase the homework template -- it's good for you too ! :smile)

Your thinking is just fine. Charge zero does not mean field zero, though:

If the total charge is zero, you might want to look at the subsequent order: after all, a + charge at (0,0,1) and a - charge at (0,0,-1) do cause an electric field, even further away...

BvU said:
Hello Naomi, :welcome:

(Please use and do not erase the homework template -- it's good for you too ! :smile)

Your thinking is just fine. Charge zero does not mean field zero, though:

If the total charge is zero, you might want to look at the subsequent order: after all, a + charge at (0,0,1) and a - charge at (0,0,-1) do cause an electric field, even further away...
Hello! Oh I'm so sorry, I'm new so I didn't know.
Well if the charge is zero, how does the field exist? Because the expression of electric field itself has the "Q" term. The answer is that the electric field must vary by d^-1. I'm still not able to solve :((

Naomi13 said:
Well if the charge is zero, how does the field exist?
The blue characters are clickable. Did you look there ?
BvU said:
a + charge at (0,0,1) and a - charge at (0,0,-1) do cause an electric field, even further away
Make a drawing and see that the two contributions to the field at some point do not cancel.

Naomi13 said:
The answer is that the electric field must vary by d^-1
Is that so ? How do you know ?

BvU said:
The blue characters are clickable. Did you look there ?
Make a drawing and see that the two contributions to the field at some point do not cancel.

Is that so ? How do you know ?
Well the answer is provided in my book.

Well, if the book says so, who knows :rolleyes: . Let's try and find out if it's correct.

What about the remainder of post #4, the other two items ?

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field at a large distance?

The formula for calculating the electric field at a large distance is E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the source charge, and r is the distance from the source charge.

2. How does the electric field vary with distance at a large distance?

The electric field at a large distance follows an inverse square relationship, meaning that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases by the square of the distance. This is represented by the formula E = kQ/r^2.

3. How does the direction of the electric field vector change at a large distance?

At a large distance, the direction of the electric field vector is always directed away from the source charge. This is because the electric field lines always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

4. What factors can affect the strength of the electric field at a large distance?

The strength of the electric field at a large distance can be affected by the magnitude of the source charge, the distance from the source charge, and any intervening medium that may affect the electric field.

5. How would the electric field vary at a large distance for multiple point charges?

If there are multiple point charges at a large distance, the electric field at any point would be the vector sum of the individual electric fields from each point charge. The direction of the resulting electric field will depend on the relative position and magnitude of each point charge.