How would you balance raising a family and being a professor?

In summary: The downside was that I felt like I was always working and never had any down time. I also didn't have any social life. I was very isolated from my friends and family. I had to make a lot of sacrifices to have a successful career and be a good wife/mom.The bottom line is that it is possible to be successful and be a good wife/mom, but it takes a lot of effort and sacrifices.
Dishsoap
First of all, let me just say I'm a long way away from being a wife/mom and from even thinking about having a career. I'm still an undergrad. Although I love physics and want to pursue a PhD and eventually begin a career, I guess that being a mother is more important to me. And now that it's almost time to start thinking about graduate schools and degrees and whatnot, I was wondering if some of you could share your experiences with this.

I'm legitimately looking for advice here from people who have done this, and know what it's like. Is it hard to be a parent/spouse and still be fully devoted to your work? Do you have any regrets?

Physics news on Phys.org
samnorris93 said:
First of all, let me just say I'm a long way away from being a wife/mom and from even thinking about having a career. I'm still an undergrad. Although I love physics and want to pursue a PhD and eventually begin a career, I guess that being a mother is more important to me. And now that it's almost time to start thinking about graduate schools and degrees and whatnot, I was wondering if some of you could share your experiences with this.

I'm legitimately looking for advice here from people who have done this, and know what it's like. Is it hard to be a parent/spouse and still be fully devoted to your work? Do you have any regrets?
How is this any different from any other job? It's a purely personal decision. What worked for me may not work for you, so there is no sense in asking.

I put in 16 hours days, and I worked 7 days a week, I made a ton of money and it was the right decision for me and my kids loved the money, but they also have admitted they were very sad on many occasions. I had very little time for my kids, I missed all of their school meetings and programs and didn't even attend their high school graduations. They turned out great and adore me. Does that help you?

I also know people that gave up everything they wanted to be there for their kids, they worked short hours, gave up good job opportunities to spend time with their kids and in the end they had nothing financially or rewarding in their jobs and their kids turned out to be worthless and ungrateful.

In other words, it's a crap shoot. Do what you want.

Last edited:
samnorris93 said:

Career and family both take time, and it takes a balance of effort to accomplish both well.

The questions one asks are questions for one's mate. Choose wisely.

Evo said:
I put in 16 hours days, and I worked 7 days a week, I made a ton of money and it was the right decision for me and my kids loved the money, but they also have admitted they were very sad on many occasions. I had very little time for my kids, I missed all of their school meetings and programs and didn't even attend their high school graduations. They turned out great and adore me. Does that help you?
:bugeye:
16 hours every day?

Lisa! said:
:bugeye:
16 hours every day?
Monday-Friday, weekends might be 8-12. You might say I was a workaholic. The upside was that I was allowed to work at home and didn't have "set' hours, so I could make free time during the day and work at night. So it wasn't like going to an office and sitting and working for 16 hours straight.

Likes 1 person

1. How do you manage your time as a professor and a parent?

Balancing both roles can be challenging, but it is possible with good time management. I prioritize my tasks and create a schedule that allows me to fulfill my responsibilities as a professor and spend quality time with my family.

2. How do you handle work-life balance as a scientist with a family?

I believe that work-life balance is essential for both personal and professional well-being. I try to maintain a healthy balance by setting boundaries, delegating tasks, and taking breaks to spend time with my family.

3. How do you handle unexpected family emergencies while still meeting your responsibilities as a professor?

I understand that unexpected family emergencies can arise, and I prioritize handling them as soon as possible. I communicate with my colleagues and students to ensure that my responsibilities are covered while I am away.

4. How do you communicate with your family about your work as a professor?

Communication is key in any relationship, including with my family. I make sure to regularly talk to my family about my work, explain my schedule, and involve them in my academic achievements and challenges.

5. How do you prioritize your family while still maintaining a successful career as a professor?

I believe that a successful career and a happy family are not mutually exclusive. I prioritize my family by setting boundaries, delegating tasks, and making time for them. I also involve my family in my work and celebrate our achievements together.