Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would you balance raising a family and being a professor?

1. Feb 8, 2014 #1
    First of all, let me just say I'm a long way away from being a wife/mom and from even thinking about having a career. I'm still an undergrad. Although I love physics and want to pursue a PhD and eventually begin a career, I guess that being a mother is more important to me. And now that it's almost time to start thinking about graduate schools and degrees and whatnot, I was wondering if some of you could share your experiences with this.

I'm legitimately looking for advice here from people who have done this, and know what it's like. Is it hard to be a parent/spouse and still be fully devoted to your work? Do you have any regrets?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2014 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

How is this any different from any other job? It's a purely personal decision. What worked for me may not work for you, so there is no sense in asking.

I put in 16 hours days, and I worked 7 days a week, I made a ton of money and it was the right decision for me and my kids loved the money, but they also have admitted they were very sad on many occasions. I had very little time for my kids, I missed all of their school meetings and programs and didn't even attend their high school graduations. They turned out great and adore me. Does that help you?

I also know people that gave up everything they wanted to be there for their kids, they worked short hours, gave up good job opportunities to spend time with their kids and in the end they had nothing financially or rewarding in their jobs and their kids turned out to be worthless and ungrateful.

In other words, it's a crap shoot. Do what you want.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  4. Feb 9, 2014 #3

Astronuc

Career and family both take time, and it takes a balance of effort to accomplish both well.

The questions one asks are questions for one's mate. Choose wisely.

5. Feb 9, 2014 #4

Lisa!

Gold Member

:bugeye::surprised
    16 hours every day?

6. Feb 9, 2014 #5

Evo

Monday-Friday, weekends might be 8-12. You might say I was a workaholic. The upside was that I was allowed to work at home and didn't have "set' hours, so I could make free time during the day and work at night. So it wasn't like going to an office and sitting and working for 16 hours straight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook