How would you include gravity in a momentum problem?

In summary, the conversation is about two balls, one big and one small, being dropped from a height and colliding in an elastic collision. The question is how to incorporate the force of gravity into calculations and determine the height each ball will reach after the collision. It is mentioned that this is just an example and not a homework problem, but the conversation is directed to the Homework Forums for assistance.
Rnotaria
Say you have a big ball of mass m1 and a little ball on top of that of mass m2 (assume they are a small distance apart, like 1mm). Now let's drop these from a height of h so that the big ball will bounce off the ground and collide into the little ball in an elastic collision.

Now I know gravity would play a key role in this example but how would you perform calculations with it? I know F=p/t and momentum will not be conserved since there is an external force (gravity) so knowing this, how can you determine how high each ball will rise after the collision?

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you start on this problem? And by the way, in reality, "bouncing off the ground" is hardly an elastic collision.

Is this a homework problem? If so, you need to put it in the homework section and use the template.

This was just an example I thought of because all the problems I've done so far have pretty much been absent of external forces (such as a car collision).

Rnotaria said:
This was just an example I thought of because all the problems I've done so far have pretty much been absent of external forces (such as a car collision).
OK, then I ask again. How would you start on this problem?

Rnotaria said:
This was just an example I thought of ...
It's still a homework problem - the Homework Forums are for all such problems, whether they came to you as part of formal classwork or as self-study.

I am closing this thread, but I encourage you to start a new thread in the "Introductory Physics Homework" forum and use the template. The process there is designed for this sort of problem.

1. How does gravity affect momentum?

Gravity is a force that acts on objects with mass. When an object is in motion, its momentum is affected by the force of gravity, which can either increase or decrease its velocity depending on the direction of the force.

2. Do I need to consider the mass of an object when calculating momentum with gravity?

Yes, the mass of an object is a crucial factor in calculating momentum with gravity. The greater the mass of an object, the greater its momentum will be under the influence of gravity.

3. What is the formula for calculating momentum with gravity?

The formula for calculating momentum with gravity is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This formula takes into account the mass and velocity of an object, as well as the force of gravity acting on it.

4. How is momentum affected by the direction of gravity?

The direction of gravity can greatly impact the momentum of an object. If gravity is acting in the same direction as the object's motion, it will increase its momentum. However, if gravity is acting in the opposite direction, it will decrease the object's momentum.

5. Can momentum and gravity be combined in a single equation?

Yes, momentum and gravity can be combined in a single equation by including the force of gravity as a variable in the formula for calculating momentum. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of an object's motion under the influence of both momentum and gravity.