1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would you integrate Cantor's function

1. Jun 19, 2006 #1
    On the interval from 0 to 1?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2006 #2
    integrating cantor's function

How would you integrate it from 0 to 1? For those of you who don't know what it is here is a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor_function.
    Is it possible to do this as some sort of geometric series? Any help would be appreaciated.
  4. Jun 19, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

It looks like itself upside down.
  5. Jun 19, 2006 #4
    Well how can I integrate it? It's almost like an infinite piece wise function.
  6. Jun 19, 2006 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If its integral (over the range [0,1]) exists, let it be I, StatusX's hint was that 1-f(x) is the same function but going downhill not uphill, so the integral of 1-f(x) over [0,1] is also I. You can do the rest from here surely. The point is the function is very symmetric, so you can exploit that symmetry, just like you can integrate sin(x) from -t to t for any t without knowing the indefinite integral of sin(x).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?