How's it possible that 70% of Earth receives sunlight simultaneously

In summary: Welcome to PF. In summary, this article reports that nearly 70% of the Earth's surface is illuminated by the sun on July 8th UTC.
berkeman said:
Last chance. Show your work, or this thread is done.
Hello,

Thank you for responding.

May I ask, do you mean you want photographs of my globe with hand drawn solar terminator and twilight lines, matched and verified against the Time and Date Daylight map, traced out in black sharpie marker.

And the photos of the hand written spherical geometry, resolving the difference between the lit and unlit surface areas, absent all twilight zones, amounting to 30.65% of Earth's remaining surface area?
I can provide that, if you need that, to help me verify my math. Please let me know, I am on my laptop and will have to up load the photographs, if you need them. But doing the math is pretty simple using just the time and date map too. And I would rather have someone else do the physical work to falsify my findings.

I am really not trying to be a problem, I just want someone to double check my work. I can't make sense of this. Either way, let me know, thank you, talk soon. John
BWV said:
And It’s a stretch to claim this 50% of the globe contains 99% of the population (maybe shifted just a bit east to get the whole E Coast of China you get > 95%). Out of 8 billion people, 4.5B live in Asia, 1.4B in Africa, 0.75B in Europe - so that is 6.7B or 83% and then you get most all of S American population centers save Peru but missing W coast of N America and Mexico
Hello, Thank you. I think I may have miscommunicated. It's not the percentage of people I was calculating, but the surface area of the Earth. When I took the sunlit map from Time and Date and did the math, I surpisingly found that on that time and day, annually, a total of 69.35% of Earth's total surface area to be receiving some degree of sunlight. This doesn't make sense. Are you willing and able to double check my work? Thank you so much, kind regards. john.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
yohananregal said:
Hello, Thank you. I think I may have miscommunicated.
Yes, you did...
yohananregal said:
It's not the percentage of people I was calculating, but the surface area of the Earth. When I took the sunlit map from Time and Date and did the math, I surpisingly found that on that time and day, annually, a total of 69.35% of Earth's total surface area to be receiving some degree of sunlight. This doesn't make sense. Are you willing and able to double check my work? Thank you so much, kind regards. john.
If you include every area that is in astronomical twilight (as sun-lit, very non-standard) then maybe you can get those numbers. AGAIN, show some numbers and definitions of what you are talking about...

Likes PeroK
yohananregal said:
May I ask, do you mean you want photographs of my globe with hand drawn solar terminator and twilight lines, matched and verified against the Time and Date Daylight map, traced out in black sharpie marker.
No, of course not. So you are saying that you arrived at that number graphically, not numerically? Okay, you should have stated that in your Original Post.

And your thread title is provacative, suggesting that a distant light source can illumiate a globe at over 50% area without any other physics involved. Instead, you are now saying that you are including twilight zones of very dim refracted illumination and using hand-drawn images to give you a number. Thread is done.

Likes Theia, PeroK, Motore and 2 others