Human powered wings with jet pack

In summary: You would need a lot of energy to jump that high, and I'm not sure how you would generate that much energy.
sunbird
Hi guys, i was thinking recently people are trying to fly flapping huge great wings with no success, whilst others are flying with jet packs, so what i was thinking was adding them together. flapping smaller sets of wing assisted by a small jet pack say 2 RC jet engines producing 80-100lbs of thrust so a 140lb human plus the jet and wing weight have to be able to produce the rest.
Do you guys think it would be possible?
what would the wing span have to be?
I was thinking around 6 foot a wing so together there would be in total 24ft of wing length.
the wings would have to quite flexible so they would have to be like birds wings.
just a random idea.

Thanks
Charlie

Engineering news on Phys.org
I was thinking around 6 foot a wing so together there would be in total 24ft of wing length.
6+6=12?

A wing can produce lift in a horizontal flight - it won't help for a vertical liftoff. But if you restrict yourself to a horizontal (or nearly horizontal) flight, wings can produce significant lift even if they cannot be flapped. The required jet pack force could be lowered significantly, if the wings are large enough.

I would imagine that you would get your wings and arms ripped of if you tried to "flap" them whilst being pushed along with a thrust of 200lb! You also have forgot to figure in the weight of the jet engines and their fuel requirement.
A rigid wing version of what you have postulated has been tried when a French stuntman was dropped from a plane and flew across the English channel powered by two small turbo jets fixed to a rigid wing on his back, but he landed by parachute and did not take off under his own power. The jet packs you speak of are not really jets but are hydrogen peroxide rockets and generate much more thrust than a micro turbojet engine.

Also flapping a wing and gliding a wing use two entirely different ways of generating lift. If you don't want to make something extremely complex I would stick to one or the other.

With that much thrust, you would neither need nor want flapping wings.

sorry meant to say 2 sets of wings so 6 foot each equalling 24ft.
so if you could have wings that could fold back behind you then you could open them out like a bird but they would be locked into place like a fixed wing, would that work?
also if could you take off running with enough force from the jets at this wing span?
i no I am asking for a lot if you could set the wings at the right angle of attack to the wing could you take of standing?

sunbird said:
sorry meant to say 2 sets of wings so 6 foot each equalling 24ft.
so if you could have wings that could fold back behind you then you could open them out like a bird but they would be locked into place like a fixed wing, would that work?
also if could you take off running with enough force from the jets at this wing span?
i no I am asking for a lot if you could set the wings at the right angle of attack to the wing could you take of standing?

Wings make lift with enough airspeed and as you said AOA. You have get to that speed though, not sure how fast the guy can run and the stall speed of your wings... otherwise you have to takeoff on thrust alone or come up with some kind of lunch device/vehicle.

ok sorry to change idea quickly saw my brother playing a playstation 1 game the other day, i don't no why lol it was called silent bomber and he had some cool bomb gauntlets, but he could jump about 10ft because the gaunlets let out a short burst, and if you jumped twice he would jump up and then burst forward about 10-20 ft would this be possible.
not a clue what it would be used for lol if it could be done i prob would build just cause it could be done.
could you you do it using compressed air? or would it have to be a hydrogen mix like the new jet packs being built.

1. How does the human powered wing with jet pack work?

The human powered wing with jet pack uses a combination of human power and jet propulsion to allow a person to fly. The wings are powered by the person's body movements, while the jet pack provides additional thrust and stability.

2. Is it safe to use a human powered wing with jet pack?

As with any form of flight, there are inherent risks involved. However, the human powered wing with jet pack is designed with safety in mind and has undergone extensive testing to ensure its safety. It is important for users to receive proper training and follow all safety protocols when using the wing with jet pack.

3. How high and how fast can a human powered wing with jet pack fly?

The height and speed of a human powered wing with jet pack depends on several factors, including the strength of the person using it and the current weather conditions. On average, the wing with jet pack can reach heights of up to 10,000 feet and speeds of up to 60 miles per hour.

4. Can anyone use a human powered wing with jet pack?

While the wing with jet pack is designed to be user-friendly, it does require a certain level of physical fitness and coordination. It is recommended that only individuals who have received proper training and have been cleared by a professional use the wing with jet pack.

5. How long can a human powered wing with jet pack stay in the air?

The flight time of a human powered wing with jet pack can vary depending on the strength of the person using it and the amount of fuel in the jet pack. On average, the wing with jet pack can stay in the air for up to 15 minutes. However, with proper training and practice, this time can be extended.