1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Humphrey the Singing Whale and his mate Matilda.

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Humphrey the Singing Whale and his mate Matilda swim toward each other, with Matilda swimming twice as fast as Humphrey. When Humphrey sings a note of a frequency 299 Hz. Maltida hears a frequency of 302 Hz. How fast is Humphrey swimming? (The speed of sound i sea water is 1533 m/s)

2. Relevant equations

f=fo(v+-vo/v-+vs)

3. The attempt at a solution

v0=(fo/f)*vs and i get 1526.4 m/s

the answer is 5.11 m/s I'm lost , any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2
    Hi ScienceGeek24,

I can confirm that 5.11m/s is the correct answer, and that you're starting out from the right Doppler effect equation - you're on the right track! Just be careful of your signs (the whales are moving in opposite directions, but I think you got that from your +- / -+ notation you wrote down), and start over on your algebra. It should start out like:

302Hz = 299Hz*[(1533m/s - 2*v_Humphrey) / (1533m/s + v_Humphrey)]

which is exactly what you wrote down under 'relevant equations'. If something is still unclear please let me know,

Hope this helps,
    Bill Mills

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook