1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HW help (Double Slit, Resolving power etc)

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (a) A double-slit experiment is set up using red light (l = 708 nm). A first order bright fringe is seen at a given location on a screen. What wavelength of visible light (between 380 nm and 750 nm) would produce a dark fringe at the identical location on the screen?
    l = nm

All right so i know
    d * sin theta = m * Wavelenght

How do i find the Distance and the angle?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2006 #2
    The condition for constructive interference is what you have written down (i.e. peak on peak), but destructive interference happens when you have a trough meet a peak, i.e. there is a half wavelength difference so for destructive interference (dark fringe) [tex]dsin (\theta) = (m + 0.5)\lambda[/tex]. You should be able to go from there.

4. Oct 28, 2006 #3
    (b) A new experiment is created with the screen at a distance of 1.8 m from the slits (with spacing 0.08 mm). What is the distance between the second order bright fringe of light with l = 691 nm and the third order bright fringe of light with l = 414 nm? (Give the absolute value of the smallest possible distance between these two fringes: the distance between bright fringes on the same side of the central bright fringe.)

Ok so
    D sin theta = m * Wavelenght

Distance is 2.2?
    I am going to find theta
    m = 1
    Wavelenght is 698 in one part, and then i do the quation again for 413 right?

5. Oct 28, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't lose track of the statement about the different orders of the finges. What is m for second order, and for third order?

6. Oct 28, 2006 #5
    2 for second order, and 3 for third order

7. Oct 28, 2006 #6
    got the answer, thanks

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  8. Oct 28, 2006 #7
    You don't actually need to find the distance at all. You will have two equations equal to [tex]dsin (\theta) [/tex], and you just have to solve for the 1 unknown (wavelength).

9. Oct 28, 2006 #8
    and that would be?

10. Oct 28, 2006 #9
    .00315 m

11. Oct 28, 2006 #10
    Yes that's correct for (b). What answer did you get for (a).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?