Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: HW help (Double Slit, Resolving power etc)

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (a) A double-slit experiment is set up using red light (l = 708 nm). A first order bright fringe is seen at a given location on a screen. What wavelength of visible light (between 380 nm and 750 nm) would produce a dark fringe at the identical location on the screen?
    l = nm

All right so i know
    d * sin theta = m * Wavelenght

How do i find the Distance and the angle?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2006 #2
    The condition for constructive interference is what you have written down (i.e. peak on peak), but destructive interference happens when you have a trough meet a peak, i.e. there is a half wavelength difference so for destructive interference (dark fringe) [tex]dsin (\theta) = (m + 0.5)\lambda[/tex]. You should be able to go from there.

4. Oct 28, 2006 #3
    (b) A new experiment is created with the screen at a distance of 1.8 m from the slits (with spacing 0.08 mm). What is the distance between the second order bright fringe of light with l = 691 nm and the third order bright fringe of light with l = 414 nm? (Give the absolute value of the smallest possible distance between these two fringes: the distance between bright fringes on the same side of the central bright fringe.)

Ok so
    D sin theta = m * Wavelenght

Distance is 2.2?
    I am going to find theta
    m = 1
    Wavelenght is 698 in one part, and then i do the quation again for 413 right?

5. Oct 28, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't lose track of the statement about the different orders of the finges. What is m for second order, and for third order?

6. Oct 28, 2006 #5
    2 for second order, and 3 for third order

7. Oct 28, 2006 #6
    got the answer, thanks

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  8. Oct 28, 2006 #7
    You don't actually need to find the distance at all. You will have two equations equal to [tex]dsin (\theta) [/tex], and you just have to solve for the 1 unknown (wavelength).

9. Oct 28, 2006 #8
    and that would be?

10. Oct 28, 2006 #9
    .00315 m

11. Oct 28, 2006 #10
    Yes that's correct for (b). What answer did you get for (a).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook