Hydrogen absorption capabilities by transional metals.

In summary, the conversation discusses the absorption capabilities of Paladium and other transitional metals such as Nickel and Niobium. The speaker is seeking more information on the theory of absorption and asks for online references. The structure of Paladium is said to have enough space between its atoms to accommodate 900 Hydrogen atoms, but it is unclear if they actually bond with Paladium. A link for further information on absorption is provided.
MTd2
Gold Member
I know about the typical case of Paladium, which is said to "absorb 900x its volume in hydrogen". But this is completely vague. I'd like to know more about the theory of absorption as well as of other materials, like Nickel, Niobium and other transitional metals. Would someone, please, give me at least some online references?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is vague about it? Looks to me like the structure of Paladium has "space" enough between its atoms to accommodate 900 Hydrogen atoms. Whether these actually bond with Paladium I don't know.

Edit: Here's a link for absorbtion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_(chemistry )

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the significance of studying hydrogen absorption capabilities by transitional metals?

The study of hydrogen absorption capabilities by transitional metals is important because it can help us understand and improve technologies such as hydrogen storage and fuel cells, which have potential for use in clean energy production and storage.

2. How do transitional metals absorb hydrogen?

Transitional metals absorb hydrogen through a process known as adsorption, where the hydrogen molecules adhere to the surface of the metal atoms. This occurs due to the unique electronic and structural properties of transitional metals.

3. What factors affect the hydrogen absorption capabilities of transitional metals?

The hydrogen absorption capabilities of transitional metals can be influenced by various factors such as the type of metal, its crystal structure, surface area, and temperature. The chemical environment and presence of other elements can also play a role.

4. Can transitional metals absorb large amounts of hydrogen?

Yes, transitional metals have the ability to absorb significant amounts of hydrogen. This is due to their high surface area and unique properties, which allow for strong interactions with the hydrogen molecules.

5. How is the study of hydrogen absorption capabilities by transitional metals relevant to other fields of research?

The study of hydrogen absorption capabilities by transitional metals has implications for a wide range of fields, including materials science, energy storage, and catalysis. It can also provide insights into the behavior of other gases on metal surfaces, leading to potential applications in gas separation and purification.