1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen atom 1/r^2 expectation value

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the Feynman-Hellman theorem, determine the expectation values of 1/r and 1/r^2 for the hydrogen atom.

2. Relevant equations
    Hamiltonian: [tex]H=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dr^2}+\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{l(l+1)}{r^2}-\frac{e^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r}[/tex]
    energy eigenvalues: [tex]E_n=-\frac{me^4}{32\pi^2\epsilon_0^2\hbar^2(N+l+1)^2}[/tex]
    N is the largest power of the Laguerre polynomial associated with the solution of [itex]u_{nl}[/itex] (and I have actually no idea what that is and I hope I don't need it), l is the azimuthal quantum number and n the principal quantum number.
    n=N+l+1

Feynman-Gellman theorem: [tex]\frac{\partial E_n}{\partial \lambda}=\langle \psi_n | \frac{\partial H}{\partial \lambda} | \psi_n \rangle[/tex] for a Hamiltonian which depends on a parameter [tex]\lambda[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For <1/r^2>:
    Take the derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to l:
    [tex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial l}=\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{2l+1}{r^2}[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{r^2}=\frac{2m}{\hbar^2(2l+1)}\frac{\partial H}{\partial l}[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow \langle\frac{1}{r^2}\rangle=\frac{2m}{\hbar^2(2l+1)}\langle\frac{\partial H}{\partial l}\rangle[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{2m}{\hbar^2(2l+1)}\frac{\partial E_n}{\partial l}[/tex] (Feynman-Gellman theorem used here)
    [tex]=...[/tex] ... straightforward direct calculation which is missing now because texing is so tedious and I think maybe I have made an error in my notes which I must check later.

So, now I have the expectation value of 1/r^2.

But I can't do the same for 1/r. I cannot express 1/r in terms of the derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to some parameter because in the term [tex]\frac{e^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r}[/tex] there is no parameter.
    Seems I need the expectation value of [tex]\frac{d^2}{dr^2}[/tex], then I can calculate the expectation value of 1/r from the Hamiltonian. My uneducated intuition tells me that maybe that is zero, but that is not a good argument and often my intuition is wrong. I have no idea. Any hint appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2
    You're seeing too many boundaries ;)

Why wouldn't the electric charge serve as a parameter..?

4. Sep 12, 2009 #3
    Oh, now that you say it, that seems reasonable. Thank you!
    In quantum mechanics I always have problems determining what kind of reasoning is actually reasonable :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook