1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen atom emitting a photon

1. Apr 9, 2014 #1

STJ

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following.
    (a) For a hydrogen atom making a transition from the n = 4 state to the n = 3 state, determine the wavelength of the photon created in the process. (Already solved this, 1.86x10^3 nm)

(b) Assuming that the atom was initially at rest, determine the recoil speed of the hydrogen atom when it emits this photon.

2. Relevant equations

λ=hc/ΔE

3. The attempt at a solution

I've done one like this previously, but we were given the energy of the photon colliding with the atom. Found the Kinetic Energy, set it equal to 1/2mv^2 and solved for v. I don't think I can do this for part b. I think this has something to do with momentum perhaps? I'm kind of lost on this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2014 #2

patrickmoloney

Gold Member

Momentum of photon = ## \frac{h}{ \lambda} ##

Conservation of momentum says that this momentum must be in the opposite direction of the hydrogen atom.

## p = \frac{h}{\lambda} = \frac{6.63*10^{-34}}{1.83*10^{-6}} = 3.62*10^{-28} kg \cdot ms^{-1} ##

## V_{H-atom} = \frac{p}{m} = \frac{3.62*10^{-28}}{1.67*10^{-27}} = 0.22 ms^{-1} ##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted