Hydrogen Bomb Fuel: Tritium or Lithium Deuteride?

In summary, the product of heavy water reactors that is used to create hydrogen bombs is tritium, which is produced through neutron capture by deuterium. This information can be found in various sources, including "Nuclear Renaissance: Technologies and Policies for the Future of Nuclear" and "CANDU Fundamentals - Moderator And Moderator System." While thermonuclear weapons have also used lithium deuteride, it is not a product of heavy water reactors.
Monocles

Homework Statement

What product of heavy water reactors has been used to create hydrogen bombs?

Homework Equations

This is basically what I'm looking for.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's not a math question. I took an online quiz for my class and it said it was Tritium, but I thought it was Lithium Deuteride. My textbook's terrible index didn't help any, and I couldn't find any online resources. So if you answer this I would be very grateful if you could cite a source :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Tritium is correct.

Heavy water is predominantly D2O and neutron capture by D produces T (D + n -> T). http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/tritium.htm

Nuclear Renaissance: Technologies and Policies for the Future of Nuclear

CANDU Fundamentals - Moderator And Moderator System
http://canteach.candu.org/library/20040712.pdf

Thermonuclear weapons have used DT fusion, as well as LiD, but LiD is not a product a heavy water reactor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright thanks :)

Related to Hydrogen Bomb Fuel: Tritium or Lithium Deuteride?

1. What is heavy water?

Heavy water is a form of water where the hydrogen atoms are replaced with its heavier isotope, deuterium. It has a chemical formula of D2O, and is slightly denser and more viscous than regular water.

2. How is heavy water used in reactors?

Heavy water is used as a moderator in nuclear reactors, which helps slow down the fast-moving neutrons produced during nuclear fission. This allows for a more controlled and sustained nuclear reaction, making it an essential component in many types of reactors.

3. What are some common products of heavy water reactors?

The main products of heavy water reactors are electricity and heat. The heat generated from the nuclear reaction is used to produce steam, which then drives turbines to generate electricity. Other byproducts may include medical isotopes and tritium, which can be used for various industrial and scientific purposes.

4. Are there any safety concerns with heavy water reactors?

Heavy water reactors have been designed with multiple safety measures in place to prevent any potential accidents. However, like any other nuclear reactor, there is always a small risk of radiation leaks or accidents. Strict safety protocols and regular inspections are in place to ensure the safe operation of heavy water reactors.

5. How do heavy water reactors differ from other types of reactors?

Heavy water reactors use heavy water as a moderator, while other reactors may use graphite or regular water. This allows for a more efficient and controlled nuclear reaction, and also makes it possible to use natural uranium as a fuel source. Heavy water reactors are also known for their ability to produce large amounts of energy, making them a popular choice for power generation.