Hydrogen-fueled Internal Combustion Engine (ICE)

In summary: Cummins is continuing to develop technologies to improve the environmental performance of hydrogen engines, including selective catalytic reduction (SCR) and selective non-catalytic reduction (SNCR)."In summary, Toyota's alternative solution to meet increasingly strict environmental laws and fossil fuel phaseout is a new prototype hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) car called the Corolla Cross H2 Concept. Power comes from the hot 1.6 liter turbocharged three-cylinder used in the GR Corolla and GR Yaris, converted to using hydrogen as a fuel. What does that conversion process look like? To begin, thick, armored fuel tank(s) are required for holding the highly flammable hydrogen technology that Toyota
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Toyota’s alternative solution to meet increasingly strict environmental laws and fossil fuel phaseout is a new prototype hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine (abbreviated "ICE") car called the Corolla Cross H2 Concept. Power comes from the hot 1.6 liter turbocharged three-cylinder used in the GR Corolla and GR Yaris, converted to using hydrogen as a fuel. What does that conversion process look like? To begin, thick, armored fuel tank(s) are required for holding the highly flammable hydrogen technology that Toyota gleaned from its FCEV (Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle), the Mirai.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...ine-has-the-potential-to-bury-evs/ar-AA15Q9mq

See also an old thread - https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/hydrogen-combustion-engines.70653/

But what material. I know that Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metals Corporation has developed a version of Nitronic(R) 50 (aka XM-19, 22-13-5, UNS S20910) they call HRX19TM, which is design specifically for pressurized storage and transmission of hydrogen. I designed another variant for a similar purpose.
https://www.nipponsteel.com/en/news/20150120_100.html

Likes Lnewqban
Engineering news on Phys.org
Bravo !
But, IMHO, a couple of issues...
Hydrogen gas is a nuisance to store and transport. I had to wrangle our lab's gas chromatographs' bottled hydrogen and, even with 'Due Care' and correct handling, those big, heavy cylinders were scary...

( Our LPG cylinders were bigger, heavier and scarier. Acetylene cylinders were in a different league, handled as warily as 'Unexploded Ordnance', as accident or fire could launch them a quarter-mile or so: Be NOT There... )

Hydrogen gas is almost as 'slippery' as the Helium gas we also used. But, I remember 'Town Gas', that noxious, explosion-prone H2+CO mix. Remarkably simple seals sufficed for compression joints, literally just a winding of cotton or linen thread where we'd now use plastic tape. The trick was that 'Town Gas' was kept slightly moist, which kept the thread wet, and H2 at 'domestic' pressure was only sparingly soluble in water. Unintended consequence was that, upon conversion to carry methane or LPG, such joints dried out, leaked....

IMHO, you should either generate your car's hydrogen 'at point of use', or store in a fashion that did not rely on high-pressure containment. So, clathrates / zeolites, catalysis of ammonia or whatever.

Nik_2213 said:
IMHO, you should either generate your car's hydrogen 'at point of use', or store in a fashion that did not rely on high-pressure containment.
Doesn't exclude H as an energy storage medium tho'? The 'point of use' would usually be many miles from the source of H.

IIRC correctly, Ford had a division that was developing experimental hydrogen powered internal combustion engines for passenger cars. This was in the mid 2000's, I think. They produced working engines, but concluded that it was not a commercially viable direction of research and development, and they sold off the technology, assets, prototypes, etc to some smallish development company which intended to continue the research and commercialization independently. I never heard anything about that company or its products, etc since then.

Likes Nik_2213
I read somewhere that Hydrogen ICE's still produce oxides of nitrogen, which are deleterious to respiratory health.

If we need to re-tool our transport to low or zero carbon, perhaps we should be moving away from combustion altogether to eliminate as many of the other pollutants that are directly damaging to human health as possible.

Likes Tom.G
Evari5te said:
I read somewhere that Hydrogen ICE's still produce oxides of nitrogen, which are deleterious to respiratory health.
That's interesting. I had a son-in-law who was telling me about Ford dabbling with Hydrogen ICEs but I imagine it would be their style to keep such blue skies ideas remote. If the research ever takes us anywhere then they can always buy up the research company and make use of the idea.

Thing about any system for mobile Energy storage and use will have finite knock-ons, simply because of the scale it would have to involve. It will be the overall system that counts and you can't trust governments and big business to go for the 'best' solution.

Why? ICEs are far less efficient than electric motors

Evari5te said:
I read somewhere that
That's never acceptable on physics forums. Give us a link to what you read.

BWV said:
Why? ICEs are far less efficient than electric motors
I agree, on the face of it but it's the overall energy / carbon cost, including storage etc. We'd need to see the full figures. I don't know the overall cost of fuel cells.

. . . . and half the year we need our heaters!

anorlunda said:
That's never acceptable on physics forums. Give us a link to what you read.
My apologies - took a while to remember where I had read it but here it is.

https://www.cummins.com/news/2022/01/27/hydrogen-internal-combustion-engines-and-hydrogen-fuel-cells

Paragraph after the infographic reads:

"Hydrogen engines release near zero, trace amounts of CO2 (from ambient air and lubrication oil), but can produce nitrogen oxides, or NOx. As a result, they are not ideal for indoor use and require exhaust aftertreatments to reduce NOx emissions."

Sounds like that design is running much too hot, at least in parts of cylinder. A generic problem with hydrogen as IC fuel, which will take some fixing...

IIRC, UK airships' gasoline-type engines were intended to burn H2 as fuel, but never solved it so reverted to hydrocarbons.
Also, Zeppelins, with diesel engines, also failed to thrive on H2 fuel, had to switch to 'Blau gas', which sorta-resembled propane, again hydrocarbon...

• Informative
Likes dlgoff
NOx is a generic problem with all Internal Combustion engines, including Diesel, Gasoline (Petrol to me) and synthetic fuels - hydrocarbons where the carbon is derived from the atmosphere rather than fossil.

This sums it up quite well.

https://findandfundmycar.com/articles/what-is-nitrogen-oxide-

Synth fuels are being mooted as being a potential low carbon future transport fuel but still suffer from similar particulate pollution - soots - as diesel and gasoline.

In my opinion and to mitigate insofar as possible public health impacts of transport, especially in urban environments combustion, including Hydrogen, is always going to have its issues when it comes to air quality making electrical vehicles the clear winner at least for light passenger vehicles.

I can't solve the charging infrastructure requirements / range issues / burden on natural resources for battery materials etc. that come with electric vehicles and understand completely that commercial / bulk haulage is not suitable for battery electric.

I would think fuel cell technology will fill the gap for haulage - the Cummins article makes an interesting point about efficiency of fuel cells being higher at low loads, therefore a disadvantage to transport applications, but in my mind there wouldn't be such a weight penalty in oversizing a fuel cell for trucking and commercial vehicle applications.

I cannot solve either the other particulate pollution from brake pads and tyres, but we are at pivot point where we can choose the cleanest tech to develop from all aspects for our future transport, I would say that has to be battery electric (passenger) and fuel cell (goods) provided efforts continue to decarbonise the grid - UK government ambition is carbon neutral grid by 2035 - and source green hydrogen.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is a hydrogen-fueled internal combustion engine (ICE)?

A hydrogen-fueled internal combustion engine is a type of engine that uses hydrogen as its primary fuel source instead of traditional gasoline or diesel. It operates similarly to a regular internal combustion engine by burning fuel to create energy, but instead of emitting harmful pollutants, it only produces water vapor as a byproduct.

2. How does a hydrogen-fueled ICE work?

In a hydrogen-fueled ICE, hydrogen gas is injected into the engine's combustion chamber and mixed with air. The mixture is then compressed, and a spark ignites it, causing a controlled explosion that moves the engine's pistons. This movement creates the mechanical energy needed to power the vehicle.

3. What are the benefits of a hydrogen-fueled ICE?

One of the main benefits of a hydrogen-fueled ICE is its environmental friendliness. It produces zero emissions, making it a more sustainable option than traditional fossil fuel-powered engines. Additionally, hydrogen is abundant and can be produced using renewable energy sources, reducing our dependence on non-renewable resources.

4. Are there any challenges associated with using a hydrogen-fueled ICE?

One of the main challenges of a hydrogen-fueled ICE is the lack of infrastructure. Currently, there are limited hydrogen fueling stations available, making it difficult for consumers to switch to this type of engine. Additionally, producing and storing hydrogen can be expensive and complicated.

5. Is a hydrogen-fueled ICE a viable alternative to traditional engines?

While hydrogen-fueled ICEs have the potential to be a sustainable alternative to traditional engines, there are still some challenges that need to be addressed. However, with advancements in technology and infrastructure, it is possible that hydrogen-fueled ICEs could become a viable option in the future.