Calculate Transition in Hydrogen for 600nm Wavelength

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Rydberg formula to suggest a possible transition that would result in the observed wavelength of a yellow color at 600nm for hydrogen. The user attempts to solve for the transition by using equations for frequency, energy, and principle energy level. However, they encounter a negative result and are unsure of how to proceed. They also mention not having learned the Rydberg constant yet and using a different formula given by their teacher.
unf0r5ak3n

Homework Statement

use the RYDBERG formula to suggest a possible transition that would result in the observed wavelength

Homework Equations

Hydrogen - yellow wavelength about 600nm

The Attempt at a Solution

I used c= lambda x frequency(V) and found (V) to equal 5e14/second
I then used energy(E) = constant(h) x V and found E to equal 3.32e-19j
Last i used En = (-2.178e-18j)/n^2 to find the transition, I did 3.32e-19j = (-2.178e-18j)/n^2 and found n^2 to equal -6.57014 and I'm stuck there because it's a negative number...

Physics news on Phys.org
Rydberg formula contains two integers, not one.

What is Rydberg constant value?

I believe negative results infer emission rather than absorption.

That formula finds the principle energy level, not the energy emission or absorption

We haven't learned rydbergs constant yet, so I was assuming we used the one I posted

we haven'y learned that formula yet, he told us to use E(n) = (-2.178x10^-18)/n^2

ok well i did (change in energy) = E(f) - E(i)
delta(E) = 3.3e-19
E(f) = En when n=2
When n=2 E= -5.445e-19
so 3.3e-19 = -5.445e-19 - E(i)
E(i) = -8.745e-19
I then used E(i) = -2.178e-18/n2
i got n= 1.57815 which doesn't make sense, can anyone tell me what i did wrong?

1. How do you calculate the transition in hydrogen for 600nm wavelength?

To calculate the transition in hydrogen for 600nm wavelength, you can use the Rydberg formula: 1/λ = R(1/nf^2 - 1/ni^2), where λ is the wavelength in meters, R is the Rydberg constant (1.097x10^-7 m^-1), and ni and nf are the initial and final energy levels, respectively. Rearrange the formula to solve for nf to determine the transition level.

2. Why is the transition in hydrogen at 600nm important?

The transition in hydrogen at 600nm is important because it corresponds to the visible spectrum, specifically the color orange. This transition is also known as the Balmer series and is significant in understanding the energy levels and transitions of electrons in atoms.

3. What is the significance of the energy levels in hydrogen?

The energy levels in hydrogen represent the different possible states of an electron in the atom. These energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only have certain discrete values. The energy levels determine the wavelengths of light that are emitted or absorbed during transitions, and understanding them can provide insights into the behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. How is the transition in hydrogen for 600nm wavelength related to the Bohr model of the atom?

The transition in hydrogen for 600nm wavelength is related to the Bohr model of the atom because the Bohr model describes the structure of hydrogen atoms and how electrons move between energy levels. The Balmer series, which includes the 600nm transition, is consistent with the energy levels predicted by the Bohr model.

5. How is the transition in hydrogen for 600nm wavelength observed or measured?

The transition in hydrogen for 600nm wavelength can be observed or measured using spectroscopy techniques. This involves passing light through a sample of hydrogen gas and analyzing the resulting spectrum to identify the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or emitted. The 600nm transition can be identified by its unique wavelength in the visible spectrum.