Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogwn atom electron probability

1. Feb 17, 2012 #1
    Ok i dont know anything about quantum physsics but when i was reading about it( for the sake of learning new stuff) i had this question :-

Does the attraction between protons and electron play a role in determining where the electron probability is maximum at?
    I was seeing the graph of probability density and radius :- it decreases as you go away from nucleus. So the coulombic attraction plays no role in determining where the max probability is? If the coulombic attraction played a role then max probability would be somewhere near the bohr's radius

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2012 #2

Jano L.

Gold Member

The probability distribution you have seen is calculated from Schroedinger's equation, which contains a potential function [itex] U(r) = -Ke^2/r [/itex] which corresponds to Coulomb's electrostatic force.

4. Feb 17, 2012 #3
    If it contains the electrostatic force then the max probability should be near the bohrs radius but the graph doesnt show that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook