1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Hydrostatic equilibirum in slowly rotating star

1. Jul 25, 2017 #1
    Hello, in article Slowly relativistic stars by James B. Hartle (http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1967ApJ...150.1005H) is equation of newtonian hydrostatic equilibrium, eq. (5). $$const.=\int_0^p\frac{dp}{\rho}-1/2(\Omega \times r)^2+\Phi,$$ where ##p## is pressure, ##\rho## is desinty, ##\Omega## angular velocity of star and ##\Phi## is graviational potential.
    How may I derive it? I can derive eq. for hydrostatic equilibrium of non rotating star, but here is in result only potetntial and it suggests some other start than I know.
    My idea is that all forces have to be in equilibrium, so if I take some small piece of matter let's call it ##dm##. Than $$Fp_b-Fp_t+Fg+Fc=0,$$ where ##Fp_b## is preassure force from the bottom, ##Fp_t## is preassure force from the top of ##dm##, ##Fg## is gravitational force and ##Fc## is centrifugal force. But how to proceed further, I'm not sure.
    Can anybody suggest something?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Try comparing it with the Bernoulli equation.

4. Jul 26, 2017 #3
    Aha, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted